Vegan mayonnaise is way healthier than the non-vegan alternative and cholesterol-free! Plus, in our humble opinion, much tastier!
Unsweetened soy milk is the key ingredient of this delicious sauce! It’s important to combine it with a vegetable oil without a strong flavour such as canola, or corn oil and add some extra virgin olive oil.
We strongly recommend using canola oil due to its high content in cardio-protective omega-3fatty acids, only surpassed by flaxseed oil. Canola oil is not only higher in healthful polyunsaturated fatty acids than corn oil, but is also lower in unhealthy saturated fats, providing 1.031 grams per tablespoon; in contrast, corn oil contains 1.761 grams.
The spicy version of this vegan mayo is made by adding 2-3 teaspoons of sambal oelek to the plain version. So easy!
Serve it with our super delicious Vegan Tortilla de Patatas – Vegan Spanish Potato Omelette (Egg-Free) — Photo below.
Accompany your favourite dishes with this yummy vegan sauce. Here we have our delicious Vegan Omelette which tastes even better along with vegan mayo! Or serve it with our Perfect Roast Potatoes with a Crunch for a delicious snack.
Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, add more if you want a stronger olive oil flavour
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar / Sherry vinegar, add more if you wish it stronger
- 1/5 tsp sea salt
- Lemon juice, optional
- 1/5 tsp xanthan gum, optional for thickness
- 1/4 tsp Indian black salt / kala namak, optional for eggy flavour, very recommended!
- 3 tsp sambal oelek, if making the spicy mayo version
- Add the soy milk to a mixing bowl and, while having the immersion blender running, slowly start adding the canola oil.
- Once you’ve added all the canola oil, stir in the extra-virgin olive oil and the vinegar.
- Stop the mixer when you’re almost done and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the salt, lemon juice (if adding), xanthan gum, and kala namak at the end.
- The whole process will take around 5-7 minutes in total for the mayonnaise to be ready.
- Pour the mayo into a container (and stir in the sambal oelek if making the spicy version). Store in the refrigerator.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.