Our homemade Not-For-The-Weak Vegan White Chocolate Vanilla Rainbow Cake is the perfect celebration cake for your loved one’s birthdays, Pride Month, and anything you can think of! So much fun, so beautiful inside and out, with the softest, moistest, and fluffiest vanilla sponge and all covered with the dreamiest of frostings. A vegan white chocolate frosting that apart from being absolutely delicious, is also so much healthier than most frostings out there and butter-free!
So colourful, this rainbow cake may seem difficult to make, but it isn’t! Just follow our step-by-step instructions and you’ll be surprised at how much fun you have while making it! You will also really enjoy while eating it!
The texture of the vanilla sponge is so tender and incredibly moist, everyone will love this cake!
This rainbow cake is so vibrant and magical. It has 6 layers of perfection in Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Violet, and it will serve a lot of people! You’ll want to dig in right away!
For my wife’s 29th birthday I wanted to prepare something very special. I saw some photos of rainbow cakes on Google and decided I wanted to try to recreate that look. This Vegan Rainbow Cake is extremely delicious, fluffy, so moist and frosted with the yummiest vegan white chocolate cream. You’re going to love it!
We only have one cake mould/pan so it took me two evenings after work to complete the cake layers and the cake assembly. I made the cake layers two at the time, because of not having enough kitchen utensils to handle more at one go.
Before you start with the cake, prepare at least triple of our Amazing Classic Vegan Whipped Cream.
The white chocolate cream is easily prepared by simply adding cacao butter to our extra-firm vegan cream mentioned above. I bought my cocoa butter at Buywholefoodsonline. We are very satisfied with their products, service and prices. You can buy Organic Raw Cacao Butter here.
Update: Because the cake is so so huge and we are just two people living here, it was impossible for us to eat all the cake while being fresh. So we decided to cut it into pieces, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and freeze them. We thawed a few pieces three months later when Christina’s mum came to visit us, so she could try it. The cake was just as fresh as the same day I baked it. She said it was the best cake she had ever eaten in her whole life. If you can’t finish all the cake, freezing it is the best decision to make, as it doesn’t lose any flavours in the process. If you have never done it, you should really try it.
This is a piece of thawed cake after 3 months of being frozen.
RECOMMENDED KITCHEN UTENSILS to make our Vegan White Chocolate Vanilla Rainbow Cake
- 20 cm cake pan with removable bottom
- 1 large and 2 medium-sized bowls
- Metal whisk
- You will need a cake leveler for best results, but for the brave I am sure a long bread knife might work.
This recipe will yield two vanilla cake layers. My cake had six layers so you’d need to make this recipe three times.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Vegan White Chocolate Vanilla Rainbow Cake, have a look at our Gluten-Free & Vegan Salted Caramel Popcorn Cake, Vegan Chocolate & Strawberry Cake with Doughnuts, Vegan Gingerbread & Lingonberry Cake, and Vegan & Gluten-Free White Chocolate & Mango Cake (No-Bake). You’ll love them all!
You can find many more recipes for vegan sweets in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way“, in chapter 6 “DESSERTS & TREATS”. In this chapter, you can find 32 incredible recipes for sweets, desserts, and even healthy treats for dogs! Here is a list:
- FLUFFY DOUGHNUTS
- HEALTHY GRANOLA
- BAKED CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS
- GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- TIRAMISU CAKE
- GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS
- YUMMY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- WINTER CUPCAKES
- X-MAS TREE CUPCAKES
- MANGO RASPBERRY PUDDING
- SEMLOR: THE SWEDISH DELICACY
- DATE SYRUP & TURMERIC PANCAKES
- OATMEAL PANCAKES
- HEALTHY CHICKPEA COOKIES
- COOKIE SANDWICHES
- OATMEAL COOKIES
- PEAR OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- RHUBARB & STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
- LEMON CHEESECAKE
- PASSION & MANGO NICECREAM
- BASIL INFUSED ICE CREAM W/ STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- PIÑA COLADA OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- ICE CREAM BARS
- LAYERED PARFAITS
- EASY WHIP
- DREAMY WHIPPED CREAM
- EGG-FREE MERINGUE
- PUPPY WHOLE-FOOD TREATS
- PUPPY PUMPKIN TREATS
- PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Click here to read more about our cookbook.
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Vegan White Chocolate Vanilla Rainbow Cake
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
This recipe will yield two vanilla cake layers. My cake had six layers so you'd need to make this recipe three times.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM
- Strawberry jam
- White chocolate cream, recipe above
Breadcrumbs for greasing the pan
THE CAKE LAYERS
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/356ºF.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate large bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and combine with the dry ingredients. Don’t whisk too hard, just mix it until it is fully combined.
- Pour half of the batter into a new medium bowl ( it should be around 670 g) to prepare for the colouring process.
- A rainbow should have the following colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. I selected 6 of the colours: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Violet. I was just able to find red, yellow, green and blue food colourings at the supermarket. So I had to mix blue and red for violet and red and yellow for orange. I assume that mixing yellow and blue will give you green if you cannot find the green colour.
- In one bowl, pour the food colouring until you obtain your desired color. Do the same for the other bowl with a different colour.
- Lightly grease the cake pan and coat it with some breadcrumbs. The bread crumbs are important to get the cake layer to not stick to the pan and break when removing.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for around 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick or similar to see if it's ready. If not, keep checking every 5-10 minutes until it is! The toothpick should come out without any stickiness and maybe with a cake crumb or two stuck to it.
- Let the cake cool down before removing it from the pan as it will become more sturdy and not break so easily.
- Rinse the cake pan and repeat the above for the next two layers and then again for the next two. Although maybe you have more time and a bigger kitchen, to make all the layers in one go! I didn't!
- Normally the cakes will rise a little while baking in the oven, and create a bulge on one side. This has to, for obvious reasons, be removed to create a stable stack of cake layers. The easiest way is to use a special cake leveler. Just let the layers cool down completely before starting the cut, as they will break a lot easier otherwise.
While you are waiting for the cake to cool down:
- Melt the cacao butter in a double boiler.
- Let the cacao butter cool down a bit before pouring into the vegan whipped cream. I placed the bowl in a cold water bath for a few minutes. You don’t want it to go solid again, so don’t over-cool it!
- Mix the cream well and place in the fridge for further cooling.
- Once you have six layers and the white chocolate cream, it’s time to start the cake building process!
CAKE BUILDING PROCESS
- Place the first layer on your cake serving plate with a parchment paper in between.
- The rainbow starts from the bottom with violet, then blue, green, yellow, orange and finally red.
- On the first layer place a good amount of strawberry jam and spread it out evenly.
- Place the next layer and spread a nice thick layer of the white chocolate cream evenly on top.
- Continue the process for the rest of the cake. I did the following: Violet, strawberry jam, Blue, white chocolate cream, Green, white chocolate cream, Yellow, white chocolate cream, Orange, Strawberry jam, Red.
- Now proceed to frost the cake with the white chocolate cream. If the cake feels unstable, cover the cake with cling film or a cake cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes before continuing. If the cake feels stable, continue to frost without refrigerating. A spatula worked for me. Just take a good amount of cream with the spatula and start spreading it out on the side of the cake, working yourself around the cake, and up to the top.
- Decorate the cake according to your taste. I used some melted dark chocolate to finalize my design. You could do some piping, patterns, or just leave it plain.
- Enjoy this absolutely delicious and beautiful rainbow cake!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days.
- We recommend cutting the leftover cake in slices, wrapping them individually in aluminium foil, and freezing them for up to 3 months. The cake will taste just as fresh as the same day you baked it.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.