Julskinka or Christmas ham is the centrepiece of the Swedish Christmas table, and since one of us is a Swede, it was a must to find a way to recreate it made vegan, and oh boy we have! Our Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham (Vegansk Julskinka) looks exactly the same as the non-vegan one and it tastes absolutely delicious. It’s normally served cold, but if you rather eat it warm, you can too!
This recipe is going to blow your mind! This vegan ham is so tender and juicy, filling and perfect for Christmas or any special occasion.
Recipe created back in 2017!
Normally served cold and finished off in the oven glazed with mustard, applesauce, and breadcrumbs.
Once the ham is cooked, it’s moved somewhere cold, usually outside, to cool as quickly as possible. The idea is that this way will ensure that the ham remains moist and tasty.
I made my vegan version exactly this way and it worked just as good, the ham is moist and not dry at all, truly full of flavours!
One serving of this delicious Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham (150 g) of this delicious vegan ham provides you with 255.5 kcal and 34.8g of protein, which is 70% of the protein that you need in a day (based on a 2000 kcal per day diet), and just 6.1g of fat, with 0 grams of trans fat and 0 g of cholesterol. Doesn’t it sound amazing? Well, it is!
Give this a try, you and your family are going to love it!
As I said before, this ham is consumed cold, but my wife likes it better warm so you’re welcome to try it that way too! Simply cook the ham slices in a non-stick skillet and you’re all set!
If you liked this recipe, check out our Succulent Birthday Seitan Tenderloin (Wheat Meat). You’re going to love it!
This Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham’s recipe can also be found in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”, in chapter 3 “VEGAN BUTCHERY”. The recipe is called “Swedish Christmas Ham” on page 100. In this chapter, you can find recipes for 13 incredibly delicious vegan meats, some of them gluten-free too! Here’s a list:
- VEGAN BRATWURSTS
- VEGAN HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES
- VEGAN WHEAT FILET MIGNON
- VEGAN BBQ RIBS
- THE BEST VEGAN BURGER
- BAKE-ON: A SUPER QUICK&EASY BACON MADE OF TOFU
- SWEDISH CHRISTMAS HAM
- CHICKUN: 2 DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN: VEGAN THYME & ROSEMARY CUTLETS AND SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- SEITAN BACON
- VEGAN MORTADELLA
- BAVARIAN MORTADELLA
- SEITAN PEPPERONI
- and more!!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe, check out our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
The Original Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
HAM DRY INGREDIENTS
HAM BLENDER INGREDIENTS
STREAK BLENDER INGREDIENTS
- 2 litres water
- 2 onions, quartered
- 15 whole white peppercorns
- 15 whole allspice corns
- 4 bay leaves
- Some store-bought vegetable broth, if desired
- In a big bowl, combine the dry ingredients of the ham and set aside.
- Press the tofu using either a tofu press (allow around 12 hours of pressing time) or manually, squeezing out the water wrapping the tofu with a kitchen towel, twisting and squeezing hard until all water is out.
- Using a high-speed blender, combine the crumbled pressed tofu and the rest of the blender ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients of the streak part and set aside.
- Using a high-speed blender, combine all the blender ingredients of the streak part (tofu, oat milk, chickpeas, smoked salt, white miso paste, and pink peppercorns). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the blended ingredients from the ham into the dry ingredients from the ham, and combine with a sturdy silicone spatula until dough begins to form.
- Scoop the blended ingredients from the streak part into the dry ingredients from the streak part, and combine with a sturdy silicone spatula until dough begins to form.
- Transfer the ham dough to a work surface and knead vigorously for at least 5 minutes. Make sure it's elastic enough to not tear when you stretch it apart. Make a few tests and if it breaks too easily, keep kneading and try again. This is a very important step as the texture of the ham will absolutely depend on it. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes or more but it is very important to continue kneading until the dough does not break when you stretch it apart!
- Transfer the streak part dough to a work surface and knead vigorously for at least 5 minutes as well. Make sure it's elastic enough to not tear when you stretch it apart. Make a few tests and if it breaks too easily, keep kneading and try again. This is a very important step as the texture of the ham will absolutely depend on it. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes or more but it is very important to continue kneading until the dough does not break when you stretch it apart!
- Shape the ham part into a ham/roast shape, and beat/roll the streak part into a flat slab, using a rolling pin.
- Lay the streak dough over the ham dough and press the two pieces until they fuse together, and then reshape into a ham (just like in the photo).
- Bring 2 litres of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Wrap the dough tightly first in parchment paper and then in cling film. Place the wrapped dough into the water for 2 hours, flipping over half way through cooking, simmering (don’t let it boil hard!).
- In another large pot, bring the broth to a boil.
- After two hours inside the simmering water, remove the ham from the pot and allow to cool. Once cooled, unwrap the ham.
- Now it's time to place it inside the pot with the simmering broth. Immeditely reduce to a simmer, and don't let it boil hard. Let it simmer for 1 hour, flipping over half way through cooking.
- After one hour, remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let the ham cool in the broth for a few hours until lukewarm.
- Preheat the oven to 225ºC.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard and applesauce together.
- Insert the whole cloves in the ham just like in the photo.
- Using a basting brush, brush the mustard and apple sauce mix all over the ham until it’s all covered.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top until well covered.
- Bake the ham on the upper rack of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take the ham out of the oven and quickly let cool completely. Once the ham is done baking, move it somewhere cold, usually outside (your balcony/terrace/patio), to cool as quickly as possible. The idea is that this way will ensure that the ham remains moist and tasty inside. Store in the refrigerator overnight, covered in aluminium foil. Chilling is very important so DO NOT OMIT this step.
- The next day, once the ham is cooled, it’s ready to be consumed.
- Carve and serve cold, or warm if you wish. It's extremely delicious either way!
- Enjoy along with the rest of our Christmas delicious vegan dishes!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.