Croissants are flaky buttery clouds of heaven that melt in your mouth? and they remind us of our romantic trip to Paris in 2014. Every single day of that trip, we started out the morning with that flaky goodness and a latte. In 2015 we went vegan and we could never find plant-based croissants anywhere so we just stopped searching and sort of forgot about them. Until a few months ago, we saw a photo of homemade croissants from a fellow vegan friend, and then we decided to give it a try. It was a total success as we loved them and ate ten croissants in two days. Some weeks after, we had an idea: how would it be to make Sweet & Savoury Filled Vegan Croissants? Such good thinking because they turned out delicious and that’s why we have decided to share the recipe with you. Hope you like it!
These Sweet & Savoury Filled Vegan Croissants are made with a perfectly flaky homemade vegan puff pastry and melt in your mouth like a dream. They are simply spectacular! To make the chocolate-filled croissants, we use The Best Homemade Vegan Nutella. You will definitely love them!
To make the chocolate-filled croissants, we use The Best Homemade Vegan Nutella. Check it out, you will love how creamy and delicious it is!
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Basil Ice Cream with Strawberry Sauce. It’s so so good!
Sweet & Savoury Filled Vegan Croissants
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
For a golden crispy exterior effect
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- In a food processor, add the flour and the dry active yeast. Pulse a few times until combined. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Then, add the sugar, salt, olive oil and the water at 37°C to the food processor in this order (it’s very important that the water is at 37°C so the yeast works efficiently. If it’s not, the yeast culture could die). Process until a dough has formed. If making manually, knead with your hands for 10 minutes until a smooth dough is achieved.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cover with a clean kitchen cloth. Let it rest for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface, and divide it into ten pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten each of the pieces into a round 15 cm diameter shape.
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave.
- Now, with a basting brush, apply the vegan butter on top of each of the ten pieces.
- Place each one of the pieces on top of each other, forming a tower on a plate.
- Freeze them uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the plate from the freezer and transfer the dough tower to a floured surface. Using the rolling pin, flatten into a large round form.
- Using the basting brush, spread over the remaining vegan butter.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Using a wheel-type pizza cutter, cut the round dough into small triangle pieces and make 8-10 pieces out of it.
- Now it’s when the filling is added. To the savoury ones, we added vegan grated cheese, small pieces of sun-dried tomatoes and sliced black olives onto 4 of the croissants. Then we added a vegan hazelnut chocolate spread onto 2 of them and a vegan white chocolate peanut butter spread onto the two last ones.
- Wrap each one of the pieces into a croissant shape slowly, being careful so the filling stays inside. Start rolling from the base of the triangle towards the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and agave syrup. Using the basting brush, spread over the croissants. This will give them the golden crispy appearance.
- Transfer them to a parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until ready.
- Let them cool a little on the parchment paper before devouring them. Serve warm and enjoy these delicious vegan croissants!
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.