If you want to eat crispy on the outside, tender on the inside delicious baked potatoes, give this method a try. It works wonders! Just boil the potatoes adding baking powder to the water, before you roast them in the oven. Boiling the potatoes in alkaline water breaks down their surfaces, creating lots of starchy slurry for added surface area and crunch. The Perfect Roast Potatoes with a Crunch!
We strongly recommend using extra-virgin olive oil to acquire the perfect roast potatoes, but if you want to eat them oil-free, they are very good as well (we eat them like that most of the time).
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Mushroom Bacon, our Vegan Tempeh Bacon, our Vegan Smoked Salmon, our Vegan Serrano Cured Ham, our Vegan Garlic Cheesy Bread, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Healthy Tuna, our Kale Salad with Ginger & Miso Vinaigrette Dressing, our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Perfect Roast Potatoes with a Crunch
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Wash the potatoes to get rid of any dirt or peel them if you prefer.
- Cut the potatoes in large chunks. This will maximize the contrast between exterior and interior.
- Once the water is boiling, add the baking powder.
- Immediately after, add the potatoes to the pot. Let them boil for 15 minutes, monitoring the pot constantly.
- Using a colander, drain the potatoes and let them rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- If adding oil, in the same pot you boiled the potatoes, heat the olive oil and add all the seasoning to it. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the potato chunks, cover pot securely and shake 3-4 times to combine all the ingredients. If not using oil, add the potato wedges to the empty pot and stir in the seasoning. Cover pot securely and shake 3-4 times as well to combine.
- Place the seasoned potato chunks on a parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Consume immediately, they are divine!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.