Paella is one of the most famous and delicious dishes from Spain. This Vegan Spanish Paella is one of our favourite dishes but we didn’t know exactly how to make it. Mum’s here visiting us in Sweden, and she knows everything about paella making. These flavours will transport you directly to Spain (my family’s country).
It’s George’s birthday, so he asked her to cook one for his birthday dinner party. She did, and I wrote down everything about it here! It was amazing and we hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Vegan Spanish Paella
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 3 to 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 artichokes, cut in six pieces each
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 to 2 tbsp dried wakame seaweed, optional
- 5 pinch saffron
- 2 pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Salt to taste
- 3 cup rice (or more if needed)
- Fresh parsley
- 2 lemons’ freshly squeezed juice
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil and, over medium-heat, sauté onion until tender. Add garlic and both green and red bell peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in artichokes, carrot, green peas and portobello mushroom. Add 3 cups of water and the white wine.
- If you chose to add the wakame seaweed, cut them in smaller pieces and, in a small bowl, combine it with 4 tbsp of water and let it re-hydrate for 5 minutes. Add them to the skillet and stir in black pepper, thyme, salt, three pinches of saffron and turmeric. Cook everything in medium-heat for 30 minutes.
- Now, stir in the rice and water. Depending on what kind of rice you use, it will need more or less water added (check package instructions). We added 1 litre of water. Sprinkle two pinches of saffron.
- Let it cook, uncovered, over medium-heat for 20 to 35 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you use. Once it’s done, sprinkle some fresh parsley on top.
- Serve into bowls and, optionally, drizzle some fresh lemon juice on top before consuming.
- Consume immediately and enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.