Spanish Spinach with Chickpeas Stew (Espinacas con Garbanzos) is a very typical Andalusian dish. It’s a must-try, gluten-free, healthy, and delicious dish, and very easy to make. This is a recipe that has been in our family for a long time. My great-grandmother passed the recipe to my grandmother, she to my mother, and my mother to me. Now hubby and I cook it together!
It’s common to use a lot of oil to make this yummy dish, but my family’s version is much lighter, using tomato sauce instead of tons of olive oil. You need to give it a try, you’ll love it just as much as we do!
We use canned chickpeas, but if you prefer to cook them yourself, place them in boiling water for a few hours or until they’re soft. A tip is to soak the chickpeas overnight, the longer you let them soak before cooking, the quicker they will be ready.
You can also find this recipe for Grandma’s Spinach With Chickpeas Stew in our cookbook & ebook “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”, chapter 2 “FULFILLING MEALS”, on page 62. In this chapter, you can find many more recipes for fulfilling meals. Here there is a list:
- CAESAR SALAD
- GREEK SALAD
- PURPLE SALAD
- YELLOW PEA SOUP
- FOUL MUDAMMAS
- TRES GAZPACHOS
- GREEN MONSTER SOUP
- ONE-POT TOMATO SOUP
- EASY CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
- CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA
- GARLIC FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
- QUICK SUN-DRIED TOMATO PASTA
- PASTA WITH CHANTERELLES
- RAVIOLI AL FORMAGGIO
- PESTO LUMACONI
- THE BEST PEPPERONI PIZZA
- THE PAELLA
- SPANISH OMELETTE W/ A TWIST
- GRANDMA’S STEW
- NO-PIGS IN A BLANKET
- SPICY BUFFALO CHICKUN TENDERS
- SPICY BBQ CAULIFLOWER WINGS
- HERB-PACKED PISTACHIO FALAFEL
- BAKED SATAY TEMPEH SKEWERS
- DAL GARAM MASALA
- SHIITAKE STEAMED BUNS
- NOODLE SOUP
- MERMAID SUSHI
We also have an entire chapter called “Dairy Is Scary” dedicated to dairy substitutes. From homemade coffee creamers to 3 types of vegan yoghurt, homemade tofu, 4 kinds of cured vegan cheese, and 5 quick and easy variations of vegan cheese, including feta, cheddar, Buffalo mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you’ll love our cookbook! Read more about our book here.
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop.
Grandma’s Spinach With Chickpeas Stew
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1 1/2 kg spinach, fresh or frozen
- 800 g store-bought tomato sauce
- 800 g boiled chickpeas
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large slice rustic bread, gluten-free bread if desired
- 3/4 tbsp cumin, freshly ground
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Sea salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, place the spinach and pour water until covered. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil and deep-fry the large bread slice until golden. Set aside. In the same skillet, sauté the onion and set aside. Now sauté the minced garlic. If necessary, add 1 more tbsp of olive oil.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the deep-fried bread, onion, and garlic together until very well combined. Set aside.
- In the large skillet, add the tomato sauce, boiled chickpeas, the paste of bread, onion and garlic, the previously boiled spinach, cumin, freshly ground black pepper, and salt to taste. Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 20 more minutes. Consume immediately. Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.