This Homemade Vegan Mortadella (Gluten-Free & Spanish Style) is simply amazing! So easy and quick, made in just 15 minutes, and full of natural ingredients. You need to give it a try! It’s the perfect kind of food to have in the fridge when you feel like having a sandwich! We love to combine it with our Homemade Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh greens and some warm delicious whole-wheat bread. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
Its main ingredients are peanuts, cashews, beetroot, tomato paste, nutritional yeast and olives! If you’re wondering how the mortadella is held together, the answer is agar-agar powder! And believe me, it works wonders!
Agar agar is another one of the ingredients we use to make this Vegan Mortadella. Do you know what it is? Agar is the product of several species of seaweed. It is also known as agar-agar. In Japan, agar agar is referred to as kanten. It’s a good source of calcium and iron, and is very high in fiber. It contains no sugar, no fat and no carbohydrates. It is known for its ability to aid in digestion and weight loss. It carries toxic waste out of the body. It is also used in some parts of the world to treat hemorrhoids.
Other benefits associated with agar are its ability to reduce inflammation, calm the liver, and bring relief to the lungs. Agar agar has no calories, no carbs, no sugar, not fat and is loaded with fiber. It’s free from starch, soy, corn, gluten, yeast, wheat, milk, egg and preservatives. Agar agar absorbs glucose in the stomach, passes through digestive system quickly and inhibits the body from retaining and storing excess fat. Its water absorbing properties also aids in waste elimination. Agar agar absorbs bile, and by doing so, causes the body to dissolve more cholesterol.
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Swedish No-Meat Balls. They are amazing!
Vegan Gluten-Free Mortadella
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Using a medium-sized pot, combine water and agar powder and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes in low to medium heat, stirring constantly.
- In a high-speed blender, combine cashews, peanuts, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, lemon juice, tomato paste and beetroot, and blend until smooth. Add in the mix of water and agar powder and blend again until smooth.
- Slice the olives. Pour the blend into a mixing/measuring beaker and, with a stick, stir in the sliced olives, mixing through.
- To make sure that it’s possible to take out the mortadella easily once it’s ready, we needed to create a channel or duct to the bottom, so we placed 4 long and thin wooden sticks, 2 on each side of the container, to remove vacuum in the bottom and let air in. Otherwise a vacuum would form and it could be difficult to extract it.
- Place the beaker in the fridge and refrigerate for 8 hours. Slice and serve cold along with fresh tomato slices, some basil leaves, arugula, our homemade vegan Buffalo mozzarella and whole wheat bread. The perfect sandwich!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.