Last week, looking through Instagram we spotted some seriously good looking doughnuts from Laura Stencel. Lucky us, she had shared a recipe for them, so we decided to give them a try. She didn’t share the recipe for the glaze so we had to experiment and create it ourselves. These Vegan Doughnuts are seriously delicious and have become one of our favourite desserts/snacks ever, if not our absolute favourites! You need to give them a try. You can find her recipe linked here and our full recipe (her doughnuts and our glaze) below. She is really super talented and pure inspiration and has a gorgeous Pinterest account that you can follow to get inspired too 🙂
I made these doughnuts for our 3rd year marriage anniversary as I wanted to make something super cute to surprise hubby. We both loved them so much!
They are super easy to make and you can really get creative and write love messages like we did too 🙂
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Gluten-Free Valentine’s Love Cookies (No-Bake). They are super delicious!
Deliciously Homemade Vegan Doughnuts
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
CANOLA OIL FOR DEEP-FRYING
- 2 cup icing sugar
- 4 tbsp soy milk
- Blue food colouring, for blue doughnuts
- Cranberry powder, made from whole berries for pink doughnuts
- Black food colouring, for black doughnuts
- Sugar sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, powdered sugar, salt, almond flour, and vanilla sugar.
- Melt the vegan butter either using a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Using a high-speed blender, combine the flaxseeds, aquafaba, vanilla extract, melted vegan butter, unsweetened soy milk and oat cream, and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the contents from the blender into the mixing bowl and mix well, using a sturdy spatula, for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface and knead until the dough gets soft. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it’s 1.5 cm thick.
- Now, proceed to create the doughnuts with a beaker of your desired size, or a doughnut cutter, if you have one. To make the doughnut holes, I used a piping bag noozle.
- In a wide, heavy pot over medium-high heat, heat enough canola oil to be able to cover the doughnuts to 180-185ºC.
- Working in batches of 3 to 4, carefully add the doughnuts, 1 at a time, to the oil and fry, turning over frequently, until browned, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer the fried doughnuts to paper towels to drain. Return the oil to 180-185ºC between batches.
- Let the fried doughnuts cool completely before adding the glazing.
- Using a double boiler, combine the chocolate drops and soy milk, and let melt. Stir in the icing sugar and mix until smooth. Let it sit for a few minutes before glazing.
- Dip your doughnut into the glaze, one by one, covering the top. Twist them as you remove from the glaze to prevent dripping, then use a chopstick to pull them out of the glaze and transfer it to a cooling rack, dry side down. Immediately sprinkle the toppings (chopped almonds, shredded coconut, sprinkles, etc.) and let set before consuming.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the icing sugar and soy milk, and give it a good mix. I divided this mixture into four different bowls to make four different kind of doughnuts: plain white, pink, blue, and black. For the pink ones, I just added about a teaspoon of the cranberry powder (made from whole berries) to the mixture. For the blue ones, the blue colouring, and for the black doughnuts the black colouring. Follow the same procedure: Dip your doughnut into the glaze, one by one, covering the top. Twist them as you remove from the glaze to prevent dripping, then use a chopstick to pull them out of the glaze and transfer it to a cooling rack, dry side down. Immediately sprinkle the toppings and let set before consuming. Get creative, you’ll love it!
- Consume immediately or store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container and consume within 3 days. Enjoy, they are super delicious!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.