This is the recipe for our super nutritious Vegan Indian-Spiced Stew, entirely made of whole foods and absolutely delicious and filling. It’s so easy to make and full of natural and extremely healthy ingredients. You’re going to love it!
Do you like Indian spices? We love them and cook with them all the time!
One single serving of this stew provides you with 338.4 kcal, 47% of the dietary fibre, 21% of the protein, 119% of the vitamin A, 83% of the vitamin C, 9% of the calcium and 30% of the iron that you need in a day (based on a 2000 kcal per day diet), and absolutely 0 cholesterol or trans fat. Sounds good, doesn’t it? 🙂
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Red Lentil Dhal with Garam Masala. It’s so healthy and oh so yummy!
Vegan Indian-Spiced Stew Made Entirely of Whole Foods
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small dry chili
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp green peppercorns
- 2 tbsp homemade ginger-garlic paste, 100 g fresh ginger + 6 garlic cloves blended together
- 400 g tomatoes, cubed
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, baked for 1.5 h 200ºC pierced with a fork and wrapped with aluminium foil, cubed
- 3 aubergines, baked for 1.5 h 200ºC pierced with a fork and wrapped with aluminium foil
- 800 ml full-fat canned coconut milk, 2 cans
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup green lentils
- Grated fresh turmeric
- Lemon juice, optional
- Using a mortar and pestle, slightly crush together coriander, fennel greek, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamon, green peppercorns and chili.
- Blend together the ginger and garlic until a paste forms. Place in a sealed jar and store in the refrigerator.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp of solids of coconut milk. Stir in the mix of seasonings and the homemade ginger + garlic paste, along with two pinches of sea salt.
- Add in chopped onion and sauté until golden. Stir in baked aubergines, cubed baked sweet potatoes and tomatoes, and the rest of the first can of coconut milk, and let cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the lentils, cauliflower florets, grated turmeric, and the entire second can of coconut milk, and let it continue cooking over medium heat and covered, until tender (around 45 minutes).
- Serve immediately along with the whole grains of your choice.
- Enjoy, it’s delicious!
- Store in the refrigerator.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.