For my wife’s birthday I wanted to prepare something special, and because she is a winter child, as she is born in December in the Northern Hemisphere, I decided to bake a cake with winter spices and flavours. I thought making a soft Vegan Gingerbread & Lingonberry Cake would be just perfect. And I was right, because she loved it, and so did I! That’s why we decided to share this recipe with all of you. She says it’s the best cake she’s ever had!
This amazing Vegan Gingerbread & Lingonberry Cake is soft, moist and fluffy, and the cream cheese & lingonberry jam frosting is creamy but not too fatty at all, so it won’t make you feel sick afterwards! The combination will blow your mind, we promise 🙂
It has a rich blend of spices, making it perfect to have as dessert, snack or even breakfast along with a cup of coffee. The cloves will keep intensifying in flavour, so the cake will become yummier and yummier every day that passes, though to us it just lasted 2 days, as we simply couldn’t stop ourselves devouring it!
You need to give this amazing Vegan Winter Child Birthday Cake a try, you’ll love it!
If you have liked this recipe, check out the amazing cake I made last year for wifey’s birthday, our Not-For-The-Weak White-Chocolate Vanilla Vegan Rainbow Cake. It’s gorgeous and super delicious! 🙂
Vegan Gingerbread & Lingonberry Cake
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
Bread crumbs to grease the pan
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate large bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and combine with the dry ingredients. Don’t whisk too hard, just mix it until it is fully combined.
- Lightly grease a cake pan and coat it with some bread crumbs. The bread crumbs are important to get the cake layer to not stick to the pan and break when removing.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick or similar to see if it’s ready. If not, keep checking every 5-10 minutes until it is! The toothpick should come out without any stickiness and maybe with a cake crumb or two stuck on it.
- Let the cake cool down before removing it from the pan as it will become more sturdy and not break so easily.
- Rinse and repeat the above for the next layer and again if you wish to make more layers.
- Normally the cakes will rise a little while baking in the oven, and create a bulge on one side. This has to, for obvious reasons, be removed to create a stable stack of cake layers. The easiest way is to use a special cake leveler. Just let the layers cool down completely before starting the cut, as they will break a lot easier otherwise.
- Make sure to have soaked the cashews overnight. If you haven’t, boil them for 20 minutes.
- Using a high-speed blender, combine soaked cashews, freshly squeezed lemon juice, vanilla extract, sea salt, and coconut milk, and blend until very smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine vegan butter (at room temperature) and icing sugar, and beat using an electric mixer with beaters on medium speed; turn to high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cashew, coconut milk and vanilla blend into the butter sugar mix, and beat again until the mixture is smooth and creamy again. Place the bowl in the fridge or freezer for 1 hour. The colder it is, the more consistent and thick it will be, so easier to work with.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag.
CAKE BUILDING PROCESS
- Place the first layer on a cake serving plate with a parchment paper in between, and pipe a generous layer of frosting on top, spreading it out evenly.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting and place another generous layer of frosting on top of the entire cake, covering it all.
- Now proceed to pipe the remaining frosting using a small star nozzle to cover all the cake with star-shaped dollops of delicious frosting, beginning at the bottom and working to the top. Take your time and be patient, it’s worth it! The result must look similar to the pictures. Decorate the top according to your own taste, I placed cinnamon sticks and fresh cranberries, along with the birthday candles.
- Immediately place the cake in the refrigerator and consume within a week. You can cut it in pieces and freeze them too. It tastes just as fresh after freezing.
- Enjoy this delicious cake!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.