This Vegan Red Cabbage Soup w/ Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites is extremely nutritious yet chunky, hearty, and delicious. Low in calories yet filling and high in protein. That’s why this amazing soup would make a perfect addition to your Christmas table! 1 500g serving provides you with just below 350 kcal, 50% of the protein, 124% of the vitamin C, 36% of the vitamin A, 69% of the calcium, 33% of the iron, 75.5% of the vitamin K, and 89.7% of the manganese recommended daily. See detailed nutrition facts below!
Red cabbage is loaded with nutrients, rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, high in fibre, folates, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, manganese, etc. (check more nutrition facts below!). It’s considered a superfood but, without the hype other veggies such as broccoli or kale have, red cabbage is sometimes overlooked.
And now let’s talk about what gives this soup its character, that is the Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites. They are great in this soup, making it filling, high in protein, and SO meaty, you’ll think there is actual meat in this soup! So easy to make and you’re going to want to add it to every soup/stew you make!
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
If you liked this recipe, check out our Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham, our So Delicious & Healthy Lentil Loaf made Entirely of Whole Foods, our Homemade Celebration Seitan Roast, our Mushroom Vegan Soup (Quick & Easy), our One Pot Tomato Vegan Soup with Basil Dressing, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Sage&Rum Marinated Seitan Tenderloin, our Vegan Seitan Steaks (Wheat Meat), our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Succulent Seitan Tenderloin, our Creamy Vegan Potato Gratin, and our The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips. You’ll love them all!
And… in case you missed it, we are so excited to announce that we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Red Cabbage Soup w/ Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites
- 810 g extra-firm tofu, drained but not pressed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup German light beer
- 1 vegetable broth cube
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 allspice berries
- 2/5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp white pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the water, beer, broth cube, miso paste, sea salt, mace, marjoram, caraway seeds, ginger powder, allspice, nutmeg, white pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Blend until very smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 356ºF/180ºC.
- Pour the contents of the blender into the bowl with the crumbled tofu. Mix well, using a sturdy spatula, for a minute. Now mix using your hands, until all the tofu’s been coated.
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Spread the coated tofu evenly over the lined baking tray. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Take out of the oven to stir through. Place back inside and bake again for 20 more minutes, or until it’s looking chewy and dry. Be careful not to burn it!
Red Cabbage Soup
- While the tofu is baking, make the soup!
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, heat the canola oil, and sauté the chopped onion.
- When the onions are looking transparent, add the thin strips of red cabbage, and let them sauté until they’re softer, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, lingonberry jam, and red wine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and let simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Add sea salt and chili powder to taste. Taste the soup, and now add the baked tofu bites. Simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, in bowls, with a drizzle of coconut milk on each. Enjoy this delicious and super healthy dish!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.