These Crispy & Christmassy Vegan Gingerbread Waffles make the perfect breakfast/brunch for the Christmas holiday season. Deeply spiced and fragrant, with all the flavour of gingerbread cookies and the tenderness of waffles, you won’t be able to stop yourself! These vegan waffles are super delicious, served with fresh strawberries, tart lingonberry jam, and drizzled with delicious and healthy pure date syrup! Serve them with our Chai Spiced Vegan Baileys for a super yummy evening treat!
We have been wanting to purchase a waffle maker FOREVER but always found silly excuses not to… This Christmas we said, no more excuses, let’s do it! Oh boy, how glad we are we got it! Homemade waffles are our newest addiction! This is the very first waffle recipe we have created, and believe us, there will be lots more coming! We LOVE waffles even more than we love pancakes!! If you don’t own a waffle maker, YOU NEED TO GET ONE ASAP! Here is our recommendation, get this one:
And… in case you missed it, we are so excited to announce that we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Crispy & Christmassy Vegan Gingerbread Waffles
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour, or gluten-free all-purpose flour, the gluten-free flour blend we used already contained xanthan gum, check ingredients and if it doesn't contain any thickening agent, you'll need to add
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/5 tsp sea salt
- Preheat your waffle iron, spray or brush it with some canola oil, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the white whole wheat flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, ginger powder, and sea salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the creamy oat milk, canola oil, apple cider vinegar, pure vanilla extract, pure date syrup, and dark Muscovado sugar, and mix well until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and using a spatula, gently mix the batter until combined. There will be some lumps. The batter should be thick.
- Preheat the oven to 95°C/200°F.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop out some batter and spread it into the middle of the greased waffle maker. Don't spread it to the edges. Close and let cook until the steam has completely stopped from the waffle maker. Don't open it before the steam has disappeared!
- Once there is no steam coming from the waffle maker, remove the waffles and place them on a baking tray. Place the tray in the preheated oven to keep the waffles warm and crispy until you're finished with the entire batter. Continue with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with a dollop of lingonberry jam, strawberries, a big drizzle of pure date syrup, and a sprinkle of icing sugar to get the Christmas festive feeling. Enjoy!
- If there are leftovers, freeze them so they continue to taste fresh, crispy, and fluffy! When you're ready to eat them, simply take them from the freezer and directly heat them in your toaster. They will taste like freshly made, just as light, crispy, and fluffy!
- Make sure that all the wet ingredients are at room temperature. Either take a new bottle of oat milk or take the bottle from the fridge and pour the needed amount in a bowl and warm it up in the microwave so it’s room temperature.
- Always freeze your leftover waffles to ensure that they continue to taste fresh, crispy, and fluffy! When you’re ready to eat them, simply take them from the freezer and directly heat them in your toaster. They will taste like freshly made, just as light, crispy, and fluffy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.