This Homemade Vegan Spiced Pear Galette is so easy to make, completely homemade, and healthier than most galette recipes you’ll find, as it’s made with date sugar, that is the healthiest unrefined sugar that exists, and our homemade vegan pastry is made with white whole wheat pastry flour, containing a lot more nutrients than plain flour does, and honestly more flavourful too! The buttery and flaky homemade galette crust is to die for delicious and the flavour combination is just gorgeous, as the pear filling contains a healthy yummy homemade spiced pear sauce, pears, and a mixture of lovely spices such as ginger, allspice berries, and Ceylon cinnamon powder. Once baked, the pastry becomes incredibly flaky, soft, and buttery. Everyone will love this recipe!
So easy to make, a galette is simply a pie, but it does not require any pie mould or tart pan, only a baking tray. Try this French-style free-form tart recipe now!
The homemade crust is so easy to make, you’ll never buy store-bought again. And it’s so worth it, healthier, and much more delicious!
The secret is using very, very cold butter, very cold ice water, and very, very cold vodka! Yes, vodka, you read that right! Just trust us!
Serve it with our super delicious and creamy homemade Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream for the best treat ever! Be sure to enjoy!
We created this recipe for Homemade Vegan Spiced Pear Galette, months ago, at the beginning of October if I remember correctly, but because right after we became too busy creating our Halloween e-book: The Halloween You Love, The Vegan Way, and making all the new terrifying yet delicious Halloween-themed recipes, we decided to put this one on hold. Then, we simply forgot about posting the recipe! Until today, that I remembered again and here it is, finally! Hope you’ll like it as much as we did!
The story behind this recipe:
We found ourselves with a giant bag of juicy ripe pears that hubby’s parents brought us home, as they have a pear tree at their property. I decided right away that we needed to make homemade spiced pear sauce and a vegan spiced pear galette. So so delicious and easy!
If you liked this recipe, check out our Vegan Giant Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, our Autumn Vegan Chocolate Pie, our Luscious Vegan Forest Fruit Pie, or the rest of our Sweets & Desserts recipes. You’ll love them!
And… in case you missed it, we are so excited to announce that we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Homemade Vegan Spiced Pear Galette
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 2 kg pears, chopped
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup date sugar, add more if preferred
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups white whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp white whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 155 g vegan unsalted butter block, cubed and very cold
- 40 g refined coconut oil, solid
- 4 tbsp ice cold water
- 4 tbsp very cold vodka, placed in the freezer overnight
SPICED PEAR FILLING
- 3 tbsp pear sauce, recipe above
- 5 bosc pears, cores removed, sliced into 1/8” slices
- 3 tbsp date sugar
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 6 allspice berries, crushed
- Pear sauce, to brush the dough
- canola oil, to spray the surface
- icing sugar, to sprinkle after baking
- Vanilla Ice Cream, to serve with
- In a large pot, combine all the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 50 minutes.
- Blend using an immersion blender inside the pot. Using a finely meshed colander, push the cooked mixture through and discard the remaining solids.
- Add back to the pot and simmer for 1 more hour.
- Now it's ready to be enjoyed using it in this recipe, adding it to your morning oatmeals, etc. The possibilities are endless!
- Pour boiling water inside a large glass jar to sterilize it before filling it with the pear sauce.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a food processor, using the dough function, combine flour, sugar, and salt, and process for a minute. Stir in very cold butter pieces, and solid refined coconut oil, and process again until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add ice water and very cold vodka, and process again until it comes together to a dough. Don’t over process or the pastry will become tough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured working surface and shape the dough into a disk shape. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place the wrapped dough back onto your working surface and let sit for 5 minutes so it warms up a little bit.
- Unwrap the dough and place onto a floured working surface.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to be about 1 cm or a bit less thick, and about 35 cm in diameter, aiming for a general circle shape.
- Place the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC.
SPICED PEAR FILLING
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the allspice corns until powder-like.
- In a small bowl, combine the date sugar, Ceylon cinnamon powder, ginger powder, and crushed allspice.
- Using a basting brush, spread the 3 tbsp of pear sauce over the bottom of the galette dough, leaving a 5 cm border around the edges. Arrange the sliced pears in a single layer on top of the pear sauce in an overlapping pattern in the centre of the dough. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top of the pears.
- Spray canola oil over the pears.
- Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling, by about 5 cm all the way around, in an accordion fashion.
- Use a basting brush to brush pear sauce over the exposed dough. Spray canola oil all over the surface.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a bit before consuming.
- Sprinkle icing sugar all over the baked galette before serving.
- Serve warm with a scoop of our super delicious Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy, you're going to love this combo!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I made this last Sunday. I made the pastry and the pear sauce the day before so it was really easy and quick the day after. It was really really good- the crust was great, really flavorful. And it was my first success rolling out pastry. Really great instructions and love the tip of adding cold vodka, it really made a huge difference. I am really pleased it worked out so well. Will be repeating soon and using this pastry recipe many more times, now it’s my go-to. Thanks so much!