Our Vegan Smørrebrød with Carrot Lox is a super yummy, delicious, and quick appetizer! Smørrebrød is an open-faced rye sandwich piled high with toppings. It’s one very essential dish from the Danish culture, and it’s the toppings that make it special. Traditionally, many of the toppings involve fish and meat, but here we are showing you our favourite way to make Vegan Smørrebrød, topped with delicious vegan smoked salmon made with carrots that has a very “fishy” taste.
Our favourite part of this Vegan Smørrebrød with Carrot Lox is how beautifully presented it can be, and how yummy and easy to make it is!
You can make it gluten-free very easily, by simply swapping the rye bread with gluten-free bread, and it will be just as delicious!
This is a great appetizer, snack, or even perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Everyone will love them!
Now let’s talk about the Carrot Lox:
This vegan smoked salmon is super yummy and it tastes very “fishy” thanks to 2 crucial ingredients: wakame flakes and flaxseed oil. So do not skip them! For the smoky flavour, it’s essential that you roast the carrots sprinkled with lots of sea salt and the addition of smoked paprika and liquid smoke to the marinade. The fact that this smoked vegan salmon is made of carrots means that it’s pretty healthy and made with easy ingredients. Low in fat, and quick, you’ll love it!
For the making of this Vegan Smørrebrød, you’re going to need vegan cream cheese. We add our own homemade, which recipe is available in our new cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes more than 150 satisfying vegan recipes, on chapter 5 “DAIRY IS SCARY”, page 167 and called “CHEEZY SPREAD”. We assure you, you’re going to love it! Here’s a photo of it:
In this chapter we have all the following recipes:
- SOY MYLK
- COFFEE CREAMER
- HAZELNUT MYLK
- ALMOND CREAMER
- OAT MYLK
- CASHEW YOGHURT
- SOY ‘GURT
- CHEEZY SPREAD
- CASHEW CULTURED CHEEZE
- AGED SUN-DRIED TOMATO CHEEZE
- ROASTED HAZELNUT CHEEZE
- ALMOND BAKED CHEEZE
- FETA STYLE CHEEZE
- “VUFFALO” MOZZARELLA
- BLOCK-STYLE VOZZARELLA
- CHEDDAR PAPRIKA CHEEZE
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
If you’re interested in more recipes of vegan fish, you can find one of our best recipes ever, “FYSH&CHIPS” in our cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS, and another pretty amazing recipe of ours, our Gluten-Free & Vegan Fish&Chips. You’re going to love them both!
Vegan Smørrebrød with Carrot Lox
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp tamari, or Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke, essential for the smoky flavour
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil, essential for the "fishy" taste
- 1 tbsp wakame flakes, essential for the "fishy" taste
- 4 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, essential for the smoky flavour
- 2 tbsp capers brine
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Coat the bottom with a layer of sea salt, then place the whole peeled carrots over the salt and sprinkle with a large amount of salt extra.
- Bake the carrots for 30-40 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, but not mushy. It could take longer, depending on the size and freshness of your carrots.
- In the meantime, make the marinade.
- In a high-speed blender, add all the marinade ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and let cool. Rub off any excess salt. Use a peeler or a cheese slicer to peel the carrot into ribbons.
- Transfer the carrot ribbons into a sealed container and pour the marinade mixture from the blender over them, tossing to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, assemble the open-faced sandwiches with a slice of Danish rye bread, a slather of our vegan cream cheese, a couple of cucumber and radish slices, and top it all with 3-4 carrot ribbons, a thin slice of red onion, and some fresh chopped dill.
- Enjoy this Vegan Smørrebrød, it's delicious!
- Store the leftover marinated carrots inside the sealed container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.