If you want to eat the yummiest, sweet, and crunchy Vegan Salted Caramel Popcorn, you need to try our recipe out! So easy to make at home, and made with very affordable ingredients, you will never buy insanely overpriced caramel popcorn ever again!
They stay crispy and crunchy for days! You simply won’t be able to stop yourself! Perfect for snacking, movie nights, parties, etc.
The most important thing for us when making this recipe was that we did not want the popcorn to turn out all sticky. To achieve that, adding BAKING SODA to the caramel right before pouring it onto the popcorn is CRUCIAL! The baking soda produces the caramel to get bubbly and foamy, filling it with air and this makes it easier to coat all of the popcorn. The air bubbles inside the caramel also create a softer texture, so the caramel layer doesn’t become too hard. The caramel will become perfectly crispy and crunchy instead.
To achieve the right texture, it is also ESSENTIAL that you BAKE THE CARAMEL COVERED POPCORN. Baking the popcorn for an hour at a very low temperature (100ºC/212ºF), and stirring it every 15 minutes, will allow the caramel sauce to melt and thin so it coats each and every one of the popcorn. This will also allow the popcorn to get all crispy and not sticky, and to stay fresh for a whole week!
And why do we add the CREAM OF TARTAR? Cream of tartar will prevent crystallization as the caramel cooks.
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Salted Caramel Popcorn, check out our Vegan Giant Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, our Autumn Vegan Chocolate Pie, our Luscious Vegan Forest Fruit Pie, or the rest of our Sweets & Desserts recipes. You’ll love them!
And… in case you missed it, we are so excited to announce that we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Vegan Salted Caramel Popcorn
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels, will produce about 7 cups of freshly popped corn
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
SALTED CARAMEL POPCORN
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 90 g vegan unsalted butter block
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/5 tsp cream of tartar, don't skip!
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda, don't skip!
- Flaked sea salt, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC/212ºF.
- Set a cast-iron pot over medium-high heat and, when it's hot, place the canola oil and 2 popcorn kernels inside it. Cover and wait until the kernels pop. This means the oil’s hot enough now.
- Extract the popped corn from the pot and stir in the remaining kernels.
- Shake the pot or stir kernels so that they are evenly spread out.
- Cover the pot with its lid and let the kernels continue to pop, occasionally shaking the pot until the popping slows down to about 2 seconds between pops.
- Remove the pot from the heat, uncover, add salt, and toss to combine.
- Put the freshly popped popcorn into a parchment paper-lined large baking pan. Be sure there are no unpopped kernels.
- Place in the preheated oven to stay warm while you're making the caramel.
SALTED CARAMEL POPCORN
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the vegan unsalted butter block, raw sugar, water, sea salt, and cream of tartar.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula. Let it boil for a couple of minutes, stirring.
- It will become foamy, be careful so the sugar doesn't burn.
- Turn off the heat and stir in vanilla extract and baking soda, stirring until it's well combined.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn, tossing well to evenly coat as much of the popcorn as possible.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour, stirring the popcorn every 15 minutes. Stirring every 15 minutes is a very important step, don't miss it!
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Allow the popcorn to cool in the parchment paper-lined large baking pan.
- Gently break apart and store at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.
- We use a large baking pan lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have one, line a baking tray with parchment paper and bake the popcorn there. Although a baking pan with sides makes stirring easier.
- Make sure there are no unpopped kernels by tossing them around with your hands and placing the popcorn into a single layer.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Best caramel popcorn ever! They last crunchy for a whole week! Really good tips too! Follow the tips and everyone will love these! Thank you for this recipe!
This tastes amazing!! And your instructions were so clear and easy to follow!
I cannot put into words just how delicious this is. On top of it being amazing, it was so easy too. Thank you for sharing!