Is Vegan Serrano Cured Ham or Spanish Vegan Jamón Serrano possible!? Yes, it is! It tastes amazing, umami, savoury, salty, yummy, and insanely satisfying! So easy and quick to make and made with affordable ingredients and 100% gluten-free! This recipe is a dream and it’s inspired by the amazing recipes for Vegan Jamón Serrano by Vegan Raskal & Mock Prosciutto Crudo by The Gentle Chef! Check out both their recipes! This Vegan Serrano Cured Ham or Spanish Vegan Jamón Serrano is going to blow your mind! If you thought going vegan meant no more cured ham, you were mistaken! Say HELLO to veganized cured ham! It’s here to stay, you’ll be making it every single week! Best served in a sandwich made with freshly baked bread and melty stretchy delicious vegan cheese!
The main ingredient of this recipe is rice paper wrappers and a “cured ham” marinade created by us. Yes, you must be already familiar with using rice paper for making vegan bacon (there are hundreds of recipes on the internet!). Our method is slightly different and you will love it!
Now let’s talk about the “cured ham” marinade. Serrano cured ham or Spanish jamón serrano has a salty, savoury, and umami taste, so when creating this marinade I added ingredients that have exactly that explosion of flavours. Japanese soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free option), white miso paste, and nutritional yeast are all known for their umami taste. Mixed with a few other ingredients, really make this recipe taste like actual non-vegan serrano cured ham. It’s also crucial that you let it rest in the refrigerator overnight, as if you consume them immediately, they will have a very chewy sticky texture that is not optimal!
Rice paper wrappers are sold in the International food aisle of your local supermarket or health food store. Online is also an excellent option (find a direct amazon link below).
Avoid rice paper wrappers that are 100% made with tapioca. Look for wrappers made with rice or a combination of rice and tapioca. They should also be gluten-free.
Rice paper is sold in dried sheets. Before using them, you will need to rehydrate them to make them pliable. Once rehydrated, rice paper is ready to use.
Add hot water to a shallow large dish that is wider than the rice paper wrapper you are using. Working one rice paper sheet at a time, slide the sheet into the warm water. Leave it in the water for a few seconds, but not for too long, as it could become too soft and start sticking to itself. Just make sure to dip it into the water. Remove the moistened, but still slightly firm rice paper sheet and place it onto a parchment paper sheet. Follow the rest of the instructions provided below!
Serve on toasted bread or in a sandwich along with melty stretchy delicious vegan cheese! This combo is to die for delicious! Enjoy!
You can find an entire chapter on VEGAN MEATS in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”, in chapter 3 “VEGAN BUTCHERY”. In this chapter, you can find recipes for 13 incredibly delicious vegan meats, some of them gluten-free too! Here’s a list:
- VEGAN BRATWURSTS
- VEGAN HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES
- VEGAN WHEAT FILET MIGNON
- VEGAN BBQ RIBS
- THE BEST VEGAN BURGER
- BAKE-ON: A SUPER QUICK&EASY BACON MADE OF TOFU
- SWEDISH CHRISTMAS HAM
- CHICKUN: 2 DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN: VEGAN THYME & ROSEMARY CUTLETS AND SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- SEITAN BACON
- VEGAN MORTADELLA
- BAVARIAN MORTADELLA
- SEITAN PEPPERONI
- and more!!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Serrano Cured Ham or Spanish Vegan Jamón Serrano, check out our Loaded Vegan & Gluten-Free Chorizo Nachos, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Tempeh Bacon, our Swedish Style Vegan Ham, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Buffalo Mozzarella, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Mortadella, our Vegan Brie en Croûte with Lingonberry Jam, and the rest of our Vegan Cold Cuts & Cheeses and Vegan Meat & Fish. You’re going to love them all!
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Vegan Serrano Cured Ham or Spanish Vegan Jamón
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 2 tbsp dark rum, don't skip!
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 3 tbsp Japanese soy sauce, or tamari, for gluten-free option
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp beetroot powder
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a small saucepan, combine red wine vinegar, red wine, dark rum, white miso paste, Japanese soy sauce or tamari, tomato paste, smoked paprika, beetroot powder, extra-virgin olive oil, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. Whisk thoroughly until you get a smooth mixture.
- Put the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat to maintain the simmer, and let simmer for 2 minutes, stirring. Turn off the heat. Don't omit this step, simmering the mixture is very important!
- Rice paper is sold in dried sheets. Before using them, you will need to rehydrate them to make them pliable. Once rehydrated, rice paper is ready to use.
- Place six parchment paper sheets over a flat working surface.
- Add hot water to a shallow large dish that is wider than the rice paper wrapper you are using. Working one rice paper sheet at a time, slide the sheet into the warm water. Leave it in the water for a few seconds, but not for too long, as it could become too soft and start sticking to itself. Just make sure to dip it into the water.
- Remove the moistened, but still slightly firm rice paper sheet and place it onto a parchment paper sheet.
- Now using a measuring tablespoon, place 2 ½ tablespoons of the hot marinade in the middle of the rice paper sheet.
- Using a basting brush, spread the mixture all over the sheet until it is well covered (borders too!). Use exactly 2 1/2 tbsp! After making this recipe many times, we have found that this is the exact perfect amount of marinade!
- Now follow the same instructions to moisten a second rice paper sheet and place it on top of the first one that is covered with the marinade.
- If you see any large bubbles, pierce the skin a little to get rid of them. Set aside and proceed with the next rice paper sheets.
- Repeat this same procedure 6 times with the 12 rice paper sheets just like in the photo.
- Let them rest on the parchment paper for 15-30 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the double rice paper sheets into 5 slices each.
- Now the vegan serrano could already be eaten but beware that the texture will be kind of chewy and sticky. This texture will get SO MUCH BETTER after overnight refrigeration.
- Store the slices of vegan serrano in two sealed containers and place them in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, they are ready to eat!
- Serve in a sandwich along with melty stretchy delicious vegan cheese!
- Or on toasted bread! Both combos are to die for delicious! Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.