Satisfy all your KFC plant-based fried chicken cravings sitting at home with our KFC Style Spicy Vegan Popcorn Chicken that tastes so much like the real thing (minus the cruelty!) and is much healthier! So crispy, crunchy, delicious, spicy, and full of flavour, serve with a drizzle of sriracha sauce, our Vegan Mayonnaise, our Vegan Ranch Dressing, or our Vegan Blue Cheese Sauce for the most epic meal!
This recipe is based on a recipe from our cookbook & e-book called “SPICY BUFFALO CHICKUN TENDERS” on page 69, but modified. You need this recipe from our book, you’ll definitely love it! It’s the recipe from the book cover and here you can see some pics of it:
If you’re interested in more VEGAN MEAT recipes, you need to check out our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”. Chapter 3 “VEGAN BUTCHERY” is entirely dedicated to them. There, you will find recipes for 13 incredibly delicious types of vegan meat, some of them gluten-free too! Here’s a list:
- VEGAN BRATWURSTS
- VEGAN HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES
- VEGAN WHEAT FILET MIGNON
- VEGAN BBQ RIBS
- THE BEST VEGAN BURGER
- BAKE-ON: A SUPER QUICK&EASY BACON MADE OF TOFU
- SWEDISH CHRISTMAS HAM
- CHICKUN: 2 DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN: VEGAN THYME & ROSEMARY CUTLETS AND SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- SEITAN BACON
- VEGAN MORTADELLA
- BAVARIAN MORTADELLA
- SEITAN PEPPERONI
- and more!!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe for KFC Style Spicy Vegan Popcorn Chicken, check out our Vegan Mushroom Bacon, our Vegan Tempeh Bacon, our Vegan Smoked Salmon, our Vegan Serrano Cured Ham, our Vegan Garlic Cheesy Bread, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Healthy Tuna, our Kale Salad with Ginger & Miso Vinaigrette Dressing, our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
KFC Style Spicy Vegan Popcorn Chicken
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 3 litres vegetable broth
- 1 cup sriracha sauce, or Buffalo sauce (whichever you like more!)
- Canola oil, to deep-fry
- In a small glass spice container, combine the ground dried sage, ground dried thyme, ground dried marjoram, ground dried rosemary, ground nutmeg, and freshly ground white pepper. Give it a mix. Store in a dark and dry place for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 356ºF/180ºC.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Press the tofu manually by wrapping the tofu with a kitchen towel, twisting, and squeezing hard until all water is out.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the crumbled pressed tofu and the rest of the blender ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the blended ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine with a sturdy silicone spatula until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead vigorously for around 5 minutes. Make sure it’s elastic enough to not tear when you stretch it apart. Make a few tests and if it breaks too easily, keep kneading, and try again. This is a very important step as the texture of the vegan chicken will absolutely depend on it.
- Use your hands to break the dough into bite-sized pieces. Flatten them with the palm of your hands. Stretch the dough and form it into the desired shape.
- Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray, and bake, uncovered, on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Place the vegan chicken pieces into the boiling broth and immediately reduce to a simmer. Leave the pot uncovered and simmer for 20 minutes. Monitor the pot to make sure it’s not boiling and turn occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let the pieces cool in the broth for a few hours until lukewarm.
- Transfer the vegan chicken pieces to a food storage bag or container and add the sriracha or Buffalo sauce inside it. Refrigerate overnight or up to 1 week. Chilling is very important. Do not omit this step.
- The next day, take the marinated vegan chicken pieces from the refrigerator.
- Crush the potato chips by placing them in a ziplock bag and smashing them with a rolling pin. Transfer them to a large bowl along with the remaining crust dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder), and mix through.
- In a medium bowl, combine the unsweetened soy milk and apple cider vinegar, and let sit for 5 minutes. This will create a "vegan buttermilk". Stir in the sriracha sauce and mix through.
- On a plate, combine the all-purpose flour and the lemon pepper seasoning. This will be used for dredging the vegan chicken.
- Carefully dredge the vegan chicken pieces in the flour, pressing the flour into them.
- Now follow by dipping them into the sriracha and vegan buttermilk mixture, and lastly dip into the potato chip mixture. Repeat until all the vegan chicken pieces are coated.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, heat enough canola oil to be able to deep-fry the vegan chicken pieces. Deep-fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side, at 356ºF/180ºC.
- Serve with a drizzle of sriracha sauce, Vegan Mayonnaise, our Vegan Ranch Dressing, and Vegan Blue Cheese Sauce. Enjoy, they are delicious!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.