These Vegan Swedish Saffron Buns (Lussebullar or Swedish saffron “Lucia” buns) are so soft, fluffy, light, moist, buttery, and tender… so sweet and delightfully saffron-y. So gorgeous looking with a golden yellow appearance with a shiny top, you’re going to love these! Insanely fluffy pull-apart buttery bread flavoured with saffron. This is our vegan version of the traditional Swedish St. Lucia or lussebullar/ lussekatter bread, a Christmas bread recipe from Sweden.
Lussebullar are traditionally eaten at Christmas time to celebrate St. Lucia’s Day on the 13th of December, but they have become so popular that they are now eaten all December or even all year round! You’re going to love this recipe!!
And if you’re interested in more Swedish dishes, check out our Vegan Swedish Meatballs, our Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham, our Vegan Swedish Brown Gravy (Ikea Style), and our Vegan Swedish Beetroot Salad. You’re going to love them all!
If you’re into delicious Swedish desserts, then you need to make our insanely yummy Vegan Semlor: The Swedish Delicacy. Semla in singular form or semlor in plural – (and believe us, you will eat more than one of these!) are
fluffy and fragrant cardamom-flavoured buns, filled with a rich almond paste and lots of whipped cream.
Traditionally eaten only on the day before Lent, (the Christian fasting period), semlor are now eaten on
a daily basis by semlor addicts nationwide all year round. Our vegan version is available in our new cookbook & e-book! Here’s a photo:
You can find many more recipes for vegan sweets in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”, in chapter 6 “DESSERTS & TREATS”. In this chapter, you can find 32 incredible recipes for sweets, desserts, and even healthy treats for dogs! Here is a list:
- FLUFFY DOUGHNUTS
- HEALTHY GRANOLA
- BAKED CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS
- GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- TIRAMISU CAKE
- GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS
- YUMMY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- WINTER CUPCAKES
- X-MAS TREE CUPCAKES
- MANGO RASPBERRY PUDDING
- SEMLOR: THE SWEDISH DELICACY
- DATE SYRUP & TURMERIC PANCAKES
- OATMEAL PANCAKES
- HEALTHY CHICKPEA COOKIES
- COOKIE SANDWICHES
- OATMEAL COOKIES
- PEAR OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- RHUBARB & STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
- LEMON CHEESECAKE
- PASSION & MANGO NICECREAM
- BASIL INFUSED ICE CREAM W/ STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- PIÑA COLADA OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- ICE CREAM BARS
- LAYERED PARFAITS
- EASY WHIP
- DREAMY WHIPPED CREAM
- EGG-FREE MERINGUE
- PUPPY WHOLE-FOOD TREATS
- PUPPY PUMPKIN TREATS
- PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Click here to read more about our cookbook.
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Vegan Swedish Saffron Buns (Lussebullar)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Crumble the fresh yeast into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the vegan unsalted butter in a saucepan and melt it over low heat.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the saffron threads combined with a bit of the sugar.
- Stir the crushed saffron and sugar mix into the saucepan with the melted butter.
- Add the creamy oat milk to the saucepan and slowly heat the mixture until it reaches 98.6ºF/37ºC. Use a thermometer!
- Add some of the mixture inside the bowl with the crumbled yeast and stir until smooth. Add the rest of the mixture, the rest of the sugar and the salt, while stirring.
- Stir in most of the flour and knead for 10 minutes if kneading by hand or 5 minutes if using a food processor or a stand mixer.
- Transfer the dough to a previously lightly oiled large bowl, sprinkle some flour on top, and cover with a kitchen towel. Let it rise at room temperature, for 1 hour, in a dark and dry place.
- After the resting time, the dough should have doubled in size. On a floured surface, place the dough and knead it until smooth. Add more flour if it's needed. Divide the dough into pieces and roll each piece in your hand into a long cylinder. Transfer them to parchment-paper-lined baking trays and mould them into an ‘S’ shape, making sure to space them out. Leave to rise again in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes, covered with the kitchen towel.
- For the braided buns, divide the dough into big pieces. Then, divide each piece into 3 smaller ones. Roll them out to about 30 cm long, and place them (a set of 3) next to each other. Press together the top parts of all 3, and then start braiding. Braid all the way until the end, and press together the ends to close. Leave to rise again in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes, covered with the kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- If adding raisins, place them in a small bowl and add in water enough to cover. Let them soak for a few minutes.
- Brush the buns gently with aquafaba and optionally add a single soaked raisin (or chocolate chip) to the centre of the point where the ‘S’ shape curves (two raisins for each bun). For the braided buns, place the raisins wherever you see fit.
- Bake the buns on the middle rack of the oven for 8-10 minutes and if making larger braided buns bake on the lower rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes. When they're ready, the buns should have a slight tinge of brown on top.
- Let cool on a cooling rack covered with a clean damp kitchen towel. This will prevent them from becoming dry.
- Enjoy these insanely delicious Lussebullar! We recommend consuming them warm, they taste their best this way!
- Best eaten fresh, but leftovers will keep in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 1 day. We recommend freezing any leftovers the same day you made them and thaw whenever you want to eat them. Simply, pop in the oven directly from the freezer and bake for a few minutes until nice and warm. They will taste like freshly baked!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.