You may or may not know what this dish is but if you are Swedish or have ever lived in Sweden you know that this is a very traditional dish on the Swedish “Smörgåsbord”. It’s eaten at all big holidays, Christmas, Easter, Midsummer, you name it! This Vegan Senapssill (Vegan Herring in Mustard Sauce) is our vegan take on the classic Swedish mustard herring and, in our humble opinion, it’s so much better than all of those recipes made with aubergines (you can find plenty online of those!). You need to give it a try, you’ll love it! So easy, quick, and absolutely delicious! 100% gluten-free too!
It’s also made in just 5 minutes and has 8 ingredients only. Just combine the ingredients together, cover with a lid, and refrigerate overnight. DONE. The next day you can enjoy it!
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Senapssill (Vegan Herring in Mustard Sauce), you need to check out the rest of our Christmas recipes & the rest of our Swedish veganized dishes. You’ll love them all!
And… in case you missed it, we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Vegan Senapssill (Vegan Herring in Mustard Sauce)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Blend the dehydrated wakame flakes into a powder or chop them very finely.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the old-fashioned mustard, apple cider vinegar, canola oil, freshly ground white pepper, finely chopped extra-firm tofu, boiled chickpeas, powdered wakame seaweed, and chopped fresh dill.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (very important step – do not omit!).
- Consume cold along with boiled potatoes and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 7 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.