You may or may not know what this dish is but if you are Swedish or have ever lived in Sweden you know that pickled herring is a classic served for Midsummer, Easter and Christmas. This Vegan Pickled Herring (Swedish “Inlagd Sill” Veganized) is our vegan take on the dish, so easy to make and a real delight for the taste buds at the dining table.
Serve it just as a snack, with rye bread, boiled potatoes, and our Vegan Senapssill (Vegan Herring in Mustard Sauce seen on the photo above).
This recipe is so easy, quick, and 100% gluten-free too!
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Pickled Herring (Swedish Inlagd Sill Veganized), you need to check out the rest of our Christmas recipes & the rest of our Swedish veganized dishes. You’ll love them all!
And… in case you missed it, we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Vegan Pickled Herring (Swedish “Inlagd Sill” Veganized)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Blend the dehydrated wakame flakes into a powder.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the distilled white vinegar, water, raw sugar, roughly crushed allspice berries, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, while stirring. Once boiling, stir in the sliced onion and carrot. Turn off the heat and let cool completely.
- In a jar or deep container, place chickpeas, sliced lime and orange, and the powdered wakame. Pour the cooled liquid on top.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours before consuming (very important step – do not omit!).
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 7 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.