Hearty, meaty, savoury, juicy, and bursting with Italian flavours, these GF & Vegan Italian Meatballs in Rustic Tomato Sauce won’t fall apart and aren’t mushy! They are so flavourful, satisfying, and delicious, super easy, made with very simple ingredients, and can easily be made 100% gluten-free. Simmered in a rustic homemade tomato sauce and topped with our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese or crumbled vegan feta cheese (our recipe is in our cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way)!
These are just like the meatballs you grew up eating, but 100% vegan, cruelty-free & optionally gluten-free!
1 serving of these amazing vegan meatballs will provide you with 49% of the protein, 39% of the iron, 53% of the calcium, 19% of the vitamin C, and 23% of the dietary fibre that you need in a day (based on a 2000 kcal per day diet). See more detailed nutrition facts below.
If you’re interested in another one of our Vegan Meatballs recipes, check out our Authentic Gluten-Free & Vegan Swedish Meatballs, our Crispy Delicious Gluten-Free & Vegan Potato Waffles, our Vegan Christmas Spiced Swedish Meatballs, Vegan Swedish Brown Gravy – Ikea Style, Creamy Vegan Green Peppercorn Gravy. You’ll love them!
If you’re interested in more recipes of vegan meats, you need to check out our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”. In chapter 3 “VEGAN BUTCHERY”, you can find recipes for 13 incredibly delicious vegan meats, some of them gluten-free too! Here’s a list:
- VEGAN BRATWURSTS
- VEGAN HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES
- VEGAN WHEAT FILET MIGNON
- VEGAN BBQ RIBS
- THE BEST VEGAN BURGER
- BAKE-ON: A SUPER QUICK&EASY BACON MADE OF TOFU
- SWEDISH CHRISTMAS HAM
- CHICKUN: 2 DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN: VEGAN THYME & ROSEMARY CUTLETS AND SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- SEITAN BACON
- VEGAN MORTADELLA
- BAVARIAN MORTADELLA
- SEITAN PEPPERONI
- and more!!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe for GF & Vegan Italian Meatballs in Rustic Tomato Sauce, check out our Succulent Vegan Filet Mignon, our Amazing Vegan Seitan Steaks, or the rest of our Vegan Meat & Fish Recipes. You’ll love them all!
Check out as well our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
GF & Vegan Italian Meatballs in Rustic Tomato Sauce
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- Follow the instructions from The Best Gluten-Free & Vegan Italian Meatballs.
- In a non-stick large skillet, over medium heat, place meatballs and pour 1/4 cup of vegan red wine on top. Let cook, stirring continuously until the wine has been absorbed. Turn off the heat.
- In a non-stick large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and sauté garlic until golden. Stir in tomato paste and tomato sauce. Lower the heat to low and add the seasoning. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegan meatballs sautéed in red wine to the skillet, and let them simmer in the rustic tomato sauce for about 10 minutes, on medium heat.
- Enjoy these insanely delicious vegan meatballs! Top with chopped fresh basil and our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese or crumbled vegan feta cheese (our recipe is in our cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way)!
- Store in an air-tight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
- It’s essential that you refrigerate the meatballs for a minimum of 2 hours to overnight after pan-frying them and before baking them. This is an important step to achieve the right consistency, do not omit! The more time you refrigerate them, the better the texture of the meatballs will get!
- We made this recipe twice, one using both plain all-purpose wheat flour and the second using gluten-free all-purpose flour. Both ways the meatballs turned out delicious
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.