Our Crispy Delicious GF & Vegan Potato Waffles are the best potato waffles you’re ever going to have. It’s as simple as that! We have been experimenting with vegan potato waffles for a few months now and this recipe is simply PERFECTION! So crispy and flavourful, you won’t be able to stop eating these! They make the most amazing savoury breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. We eat them at all times! Oil-free, gluten-free, super easy to make, and packed with flavour! The best is, they only require 6 ingredients. They’re also very beautiful, just look at that golden crust!
Here we’re also going to show you the most delicious possible way of eating these potato waffles. We have created an amazing dish, recreating the Authentic Swedish Meatballs (Vegan & Gluten-Free Style) served with potatoes, Swedish Brown Gravy (Ikea Style), and lingonberry jam, but with a modern fun twist. YOU’LL LOVE THIS CREATION AND WON’T BE ABLE TO STOP YOURSELF! this combo is highly addictive!!!
These potato waffles are perfect to start your morning with as they’re so nutritious! Although, they are perfect for any meal!
1 200 g serving of these waffles provides you with 197 kcal, 56% of the vitamin C, 20% of the protein, 28% of the dietary fibre, 11% of the iron, 490.3% of the vitamin B1, 427.3% of the vitamin B2, 219.9% of the vitamin B3, 386.8% of the vitamin B6, 99.8% of the vitamin B12 (if using B12-fortified nutritional yeast), and 28% of the potassium recommended to consume daily (on a 2000 kcal per day diet). See more nutrition facts below.
How to make the best vegan potato waffles
- Don’t boil or bake the potatoes beforehand! We found that using freshly grated raw potatoes provides the best results. The starch from the potatoes helps to hold them together as they cook and they don’t fall apart. Just adding a bit of gluten-free all-purpose flour will work to achieve perfect potato waffles. This way, the waffles will get super crispy and crunchy on both sides, thanks to the heat coming from both sides of the waffle maker.
- Adding grated onion to them will make them insanely more flavourful than just adding onion powder like other recipes we have seen on the Internet.
- Adding nutritional yeast to the recipe is a must! This ingredient will make your waffles taste cheesy and amazing. Nutritional yeast is also normally fortified with vitamin B12, making it extremely healthy to consume.
- Make sure to use whole black peppercorns and freshly grind them yourself. We are not fans of purchasing store-bought ground black pepper. It makes a huge difference flavour-wise!
How to grate the potatoes
- Grate most of the potatoes on the medium holes of a box grater. Grate a small portion of the potatoes on the small holes of the box grater. Out of 1 kg of peeled potatoes, grate 800 grams on the medium holes of the box grater and 200 grams on the small holes.
If you’re interested in more potato recipes, here you have a list:
- Vegan Jansson’s Temptation (Vegan Fish & Potato Gratin)
- The Best Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Crispy Vegan Cheesy Potato Stacks
- Vegan Tortilla de Patatas – Vegan Spanish Potato Omelette (Egg-Free)
- Oil-Free Healthy Sweet Potato & Mushroom Vegan Risotto
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Potato Lasagna – Pasta-Free
- Perfect Roast Potatoes with a Crunch
- Creamy Vegan Potato Gratin
- The Best Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Walnut Pesto – Vegan & Easy
- The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Lasagna Meets Shepherd’s Pie
- Low-Calorie Vegan Lasagna Meets Shepherd’s Pie V2
- Vegan Mexican Tacos for Breakfast
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Potato Waffles, check out our Vegan Mushroom Bacon, our Vegan Tempeh Bacon, our Vegan Smoked Salmon, our Vegan Serrano Cured Ham, our Vegan Garlic Cheesy Bread, our Vegan & Gluten-Free Healthy Tuna, our Kale Salad with Ginger & Miso Vinaigrette Dressing, our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
If you are interested in sweet recipes for vegan pancakes or waffles, we have a few. Here is a list of the recipes we have on the blog:
- Deliciously Fluffy Vegan Maple Syrup Pancakes
- The Fluffiest Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Oil-Free Pancakes with Meringue
- Sugar-Free & Oil-Free Vegan Pancakes
- Crispy & Christmassy Vegan Gingerbread Waffles
In our new cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, you can find 2 more recipes of Vegan Pancakes, one of them naturally gluten-free and the other with a gluten-free option. You can find them in chapter 6 “DESSERTS & TREATS”.
- DATE SYRUP & TURMERIC PANCAKES on page 209
- OATMEAL PANCAKES WITH THE BEST VEGAN WHIPPED CREAM on page 211
DATE SYRUP & TURMERIC PANCAKES OATMEAL PANCAKES
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Crispy Delicious GF & Vegan Potato Waffles
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1 kg potatoes, weighed after peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour, the gluten-free flour blend we used already contained xanthan gum, check ingredients and if it doesn't contain any thickening agent, you'll need to add
- Authentic GF & Vegan Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs)
- The Best Ever Vegan Swedish Brown Gravy – Ikea Style
- A few spoonfuls lingonberry jam, very important!
- fresh parsley
- Preheat your waffle iron, spray or brush it with some canola oil, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, grate 80% of the potatoes on the medium holes of a box grater.
- Grate the 20% left of the potatoes on the small holes of the box grater.
- Grate the onion on the small holes of the box grater as well.
- Stir in the sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, nutritional yeast, and gluten-free all-purpose flour. Whisk together using a sturdy spatula.
- Preheat the oven to 95°C/200°F.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop out some batter and spread it into the greased waffle maker. Close and let cook until the steam has completely stopped from the waffle maker. Don't open it before the steam has disappeared! The waffles take 13 to 15 minutes to be fully cooked, golden and crispy.
- Once there is no steam coming from the waffle maker and they look golden and crispy, remove the waffles and place them on a baking tray. Place the tray in the preheated oven to keep the waffles warm and crispy until you're finished with the entire batter.
- Continue with the rest of the batter. Remember to grease the waffle iron for every batch to prevent them from sticking and breaking apart.
- Serve with our Authentic Swedish Meatballs (Vegan & Gluten-Free Style), our Swedish Vegan Brown Gravy (Ikea Style), and lingonberry jam, for a modern fun twist on the Authentic Swedish Meatballs dish. YOU'LL LOVE THIS CREATION AND WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP YOURSELF! this combo is highly addictive!!! Enjoy!
- If there are leftovers, freeze them so they continue to taste fresh, crispy, and delicious! When you're ready to eat them, simply take them from the freezer and directly heat them in your toaster. They will taste as freshly made!
- Heat any leftovers in your toaster for a few minutes. They will be as crispy and delicious as freshly made.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.