These Exquisite Gluten-Free & Vegan Salmon Fillets will blow your mind because this vegan fish actually tastes like fish and we still can’t believe it! It’s also super easy to make! So flakey, moist, and full of flavour thanks to a special marinade process. You and your family and guests are going to love it, we promise! Accompany this delicious vegan salmon with our Easy Exquisite Vegan Hollandaise Sauce.
We created this dish especially for celebrating Midsummer. Like all major holidays, Midsummer revolves around eating and drinking. Here in Sweden, we have always celebrated with a big platter of pan-fried salmon fillets, grilled asparagus, boiled potatoes, dill, lemon slices, and Hollandaise Sauce. That’s why we really wanted to veganize this dish just in time for this year’s Midsummer. Here it is, and it tastes AMAZING! You need to try it, you’ll love it!
So easy and quick to make, it only takes 20 minutes in total! The only thing you need to remember is to let the vegan salmon marinate overnight for all the fishy ocean flavours to perfectly be absorbed.
As you may know, we already have a “Fysh&Chips” recipe in our cookbook, and what a recipe (see photo below)! We use a unique method for combining and flavouring two types of tofu, later fried up in a homemade beer batter, and served with chunky chips. This, we can assure you, makes it the best vegan fish&chips recipe ever. Have a look:
This recipe is adapted from our Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips and our Vegan Smørrebrød with Salmon Lox Made of Carrots. Have a look at them, they are insanely delicious!
Looking for more Vegan Fish recipes?
- The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips
- Vegan Smørrebrød with Salmon Lox Made of Carrots
- The Best Vegan Tuna (Gluten-Free & Healthy)
- Vegan Senapssill (Vegan Herring in Mustard Sauce)
- Vegan Jansson’s Temptation (Vegan Fish & Potato Gratin)
- Vegan Pickled Herring (Swedish “Inlagd Sill” Veganized)
Serve this amazing dish with our our Easy Exquisite Vegan Hollandaise Sauce, Vegan Mayo or our Tartar Sauce (recipe available in our cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, available as both Hard Cover from Book Depository, Walmart, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, etc. and e-book formats from our Blog Shop and our Etsy Shop.
One 330 g serving provides you with 340.8 kcal, 50% of the protein, 24% of the dietary fibre, 17% of the vitamin C, 17% of the vitamin A, 58% of the calcium, 28% of the iron, and 69% of the manganese recommended daily (based on a 2000 kcal per day diet). See more nutrition facts below!
If you liked this recipe for Gluten-Free & Vegan Salmon Fillets, check out our Vegan Christmas Ham, our Sage&Rum Marinated Seitan Tenderloin, our Vegan Seitan Steaks (Wheat Meat), our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Succulent Seitan Tenderloin, our Creamy Vegan Potato Gratin, and our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels. You’ll love them all!
And… in case you missed it, we are so excited to announce that we have published our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Exquisite Gluten-Free & Vegan Salmon Fillets
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
Vegan Salmon Fillets
- 400 g extra-firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes
- 1 cup vegetable broth, warm
- 1 tbsp wakame flakes, blended into a powder. Very important ingredient – DO NOT SUBSTITUTE
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp fine kelp, very important ingredient – DO NOT SUBSTITUTE
- 2 tbsp capers brine
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Vegan Salmon Fillets
- Combine the warm vegetable broth, wakame flakes, white wine vinegar, white miso paste, flaxseed oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, paprika powder, fine kelp, capers brine, capers, garlic powder, beetroot powder, turmeric powder, and nutritional yeast in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the blend into a deep container like in the photo.
- Make sure the tofu has been drained and pressed for 30 minutes.
- Then cut it into 4 slabs like in the photos.
- Now create the flaky texture by slicing the tofu slices partway through repeatedly (like in the photo). Do it very carefully so you don’t cut the tofu slabs all the way through.
- We use two straws to help us not cut all the way through by accident.
- Now carefully add the tofu slabs inside the container with the marinade, being very gentle so they don’t break. Make sure both sides of the tofu slabs are well covered in marinade. Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours (don’t skip this step!).
- The next day, extract the container from the refrigerator.
- Carefully extract the tofu slabs from the marinade, and place on a cutting board with the side that is intact (not flaky) up. Using a spoon place some of the marinade on top of both sides of the slabs, tapping with your fingers a bit.
- Cut the nori sheets the exact same size as the tofu slabs. Place them on top of the intact side of the slabs (the one that’s not flaky). Tap with your fingers a bit, and now squeeze half the large lemon on top of the nori sheet covered slabs. Tap with your fingers again until the nori sheets are completely wet and “stuck” to the tofu slabs. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the cornstarch.
- Place the nori covered tofu slices into the cornstarch, nori side down. Cover the nori side with cornstarch but don't cover the flaky side.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with a little of canola oil.
- Gently place the vegan salmon in the skillet with hot oil, with the flaky side up. Shallow fry on medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes until golden. Very carefully turn and cook the other side for 3-5 minutes too.
- Very carefully take out of the skillet.
- Place the Gluten-Free & Vegan Salmon Fillets on a serving platter along with grilled asparagus, boiled potatoes, dill, lemon slices, and Vegan Hollandaise Sauce for the best meal ever!
- Consume the vegan salmon with a good squeeze of lemon juice on top for the freshest most delicious vegan salmon ever!
- There will be marinade left for making vegan salmon a few more times.
- You can refrigerate the marinade for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.