Made in just 1 hour, our incredibly flavourful Low-Calorie Yummy Cheesy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna will impress your whole family! If you thought that vegan meant non-cheesy nor meaty, you were definitely mistaken! Our vegan lasagna is THE CHEESIEST lasagna you will ever have! And so meaty and satisfying everyone will love it!
The best part is that even though this lasagna is so cheesy, it is still low calorie! One 280 g portion only has 226 kcal, can you believe it!? That’s because of our incredibly delicious Vegan Healthy Nut-Free Mozzarella Sauce! A recipe that you can find in our e-book and cookbook, but today we have decided to share it with you all here as well! You will fall in love with this mozzarella sauce! Full of nutrients, sooo cheesy, gooey, full of yumminess!!
This lasagna is also packed with plant-based protein thanks to the addition of one of our favourite things in the world: tempeh! The tempeh makes the lasagna so satisfying and meaty. Aubergines/eggplants are also a key ingredient for this lasagna’s incredible meaty texture, SO TASTY you won’t be able to stop eating!
This dish is the pure definition of comfort food, so hearty, rich and satisfying.
Easily adapted to be gluten-free by swapping out the lasagna noodles with gluten-free lasagna noodles, this is a versatile meal for both plant-based and gluten-free.
Apart from being low-calorie, this Cheesy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna is nutrient-dense, as one 280 g portion has 26% of the protein, 33% of the dietary fibre, 47% of the vitamin A, 56% of the vitamin C, 10% of the calcium, 15% of the iron and 31% of the vitamin B12 (if using B12 enriched nutritional yeast) recommended to ingest on a 2000 kcal per day diet. See more detailed nutrition facts below.
If you liked our Cheesy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna, have a look at the rest of our Gratins & Casseroles dishes. You’ll love them all!
If you liked our Cheesy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna and are into more Italian inspired dishes like we do, you need to check out some recipes from our cookbook that you’re going to LOVE. Here is a list of them:
- Our amazing recipe of Ravioli al Formaggio. Cheese-filled ravioli used to be one of our favourite dishes while growing up. That’s why when we went vegan, we became obsessed with veganizing this dish. Believe us, you’re going to love our creation. Homemade made from scratch vegan ravioli, filled with the most delicious and creamiest vegan cultured cream cheese, made with cashews and probiotics. Served with a super creamy, delicious, and oil-free homemade sun-dried tomato sauce.
- Our insanely delicious Pesto Lumaconi. Cheesy Pesto Stuffed Lumaconi is the perfect recipe to make for a special celebration or romantic dinner. Fancy, creamy, super delicious, and full of flavour, and yet so easy to make! Served with our Champagne Lemon Sorbet for the best evening ever!
- The Best Vegan Pepperoni Pizza, where we show you how to make the best pizza from scratch and the most delicious vegan pepperoni you’re ever going to try, also from scratch! The key to achieving the best pizza dough is the overnight fermentation. You end up with a golden, beautiful crust with the perfect amount of crunch and subtle yeasty undertones. Totally worth it! And as far as oven temperatures go – we have great results at 482ºF/250ºC and using a pizza stone (it makes a huge difference!).
- So juicy Hot Italian Sausages. If you used to love Italian style sausages, then you will love these insanely meaty and juicy vegan sausages. They are so delicious and have that spicy touch. But if you don’t like them spicy, don’t worry, simply skip the red pepper flakes! We promise you these will be the very best vegan Italian sausages you will ever have!
- Thyme & Rosemary Vegan Chicken Cutlets. This is the best Vegan Chicken that you will ever try! Completely made from scratch, the texture and flavours are just perfect, and the recipe is so easy. Fresh rosemary and thyme mixed with garlic and a little of extra-virgin olive oil take this succulent seitan chicken cutlets recipe to a whole new level.
- Vegan Caesar Salad & Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella
- Vegan Mortadella
- Avocado Pesto & Walnut Pesto
- 4 different Vegan Cheese Sauces
- 9 different kinds of Vegan Cheeses, 4 of them Cultured with probiotics, 5-minute super melty vegan Mozzarella & Cheddar block-style cheeses, etc.
- The Best Tiramisu Cake you’re ever going to try. It’s just like the traditional Italian dessert, only in layer cake form and vegan. Rather than using ladyfingers, we are baking three layers of a light, fluffy sponge cake. The sponge is cooled and then soaked in a rich coffee syrup. The frosting is light and fluffy, yet rich at the same time. It’s made with homemade vegan mascarpone, folded together with vegan whipped cream, and a bit of cacao powder. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
- Insanely yummy Vegan Raffaello, which we call RAFFAELLA. If you used to love Raffaelo, you will absolutely adore our vegan version. With only 6 ingredients, so rich and creamy, perfectly sweet, naturally gluten-free and grain-free, they are so addictive!
- The most delicious Vegan Basil Infused Ice Cream with Strawberry Sauce (find this recipe also on the blog! Click here). Herbs love ice cream. And homemade ice cream flavoured with fresh herbs is a revelation. When sprigs of basil meet simmering (vegan) cream the result is fragrant, fresh, and irresistible. This is complimented perfectly by the vibrant strawberry sauce. We could say it’s a match made in heaven! Additionally, the ice cream is so so creamy, you won’t believe that it doesn’t contain any dairy. Absolutely no ice crystals!
- And many more!
Here you can see the photos of these delicious dishes from our cookbook:
ALL these recipes can be found in our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
Low-Calorie Yummy Cheesy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 aubergines, or eggplants, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 400 g tempeh, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 15 lasagna noodles, gluten-free if preferred
- 1/2 cup creamy oat milk, Oatly Barista
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, combine in cold with the creamy oat milk
- 700 g store-bought tomato sauce
- 2 cups Vegan Healthy Nut-Free Mozzarella Sauce, recipe from our cookbook & e-book (find it below too!)
- 1 cup 5 min Vegan Block-Style Cheddar Cheese, shredded. Find the recipe in our cookbook & e-book
- Fresh basil, chopped
Vegan Healthy Nut-Free Mozzarella Sauce from our cookbook
- In a high-speed blender, combine the steamed cauliflower, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and unsweetened soy milk, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously until it thickens.
- Pour it directly onto the lasagna or into a container. Serve warm, melted. Enjoy!
- The key for this mozzarella to melt is to heat it! Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Check the package of your lasagna noodles and process them according to the directions on the box. Sometimes they need to be soaked in warm water for a few minutes or even boiled. Sometimes they are ready to go!
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat up 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the finely chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Add the minced garlic and let cook for 2 more minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the finely chopped aubergines and the rest of the extra virgin olive oil, and sauté for 10-15 minutes, until the aubergines are soft and golden.
- Add in the carrots and yellow bell pepper, and sauté for 5-10 more minutes, stirring with a wooden spatula.
- Add the roughly chopped tempeh and give it a good mix. Let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the tomato sauce, sea salt and black pepper, stirring well. Let cook for 5 more minutes. Taste it and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Combine the creamy oat milk and cornstarch in cold inside a mixing bowl. Stir well until all the cornstarch is dissolved.
- In a large baking pan (or two), pour 1/4 cup of the cornstarch and oat milk mixture. Lay out 5-6 lasagna noodles overlapping a bit.
- Stir in 1/4 of the skillet mixture and 2-4 dollops of Vegan Healthy Nut-Free Mozzarella.
- Repeat layers until you’ve reached the top layer. We made 4 layers.
- The last layer should have the skillet mixture, mozzarella sauce and the 1 cup of shredded "5 min Vegan Block-Style Cheddar Cheese" on top.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminium foil and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out, remove the aluminium foil cover and broil for 5 minutes on low broil. Keep a close eye on the oven so the lasagna doesn't burn!
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into portions.
- Top the lasagna with chopped fresh basil and cut into even slices.
- Enjoy this Low-Calorie Cheesy Yummy Vegan Tempeh Lasagna, you'll love it!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.