Super simple and flavourful, these Homemade Vegan & Gluten-Free Gnocchi are the best ones you’ll ever have! So pillowy soft and delicious, easy to make, and they only require 5 ingredients (plus salt and water).
We are obsessed with this recipe. So so good! You need to try them right now! They’ll become one of your favourite dishes right away, one that you can’t suddenly live without. At least that’s the way we feel!
We already have a recipe for incredibly delicious gnocchi, but this time we wanted to make them gluten-free, so absolutely everyone can enjoy them. We are so happy with the result, they’re just as good as our Pumpkin Gnocchi with Walnut Pesto | Vegan & Easy. It took us a few very messy tests to get this recipe right, but now HERE IT IS, AND IT’S AMAZING! You will never want to have those store-bought gnocchi EVER AGAIN! We promise you that! Egg-less, gluten-free, insanely delicious Gnocchi, and so easy to make.
We recommend you to have these delicious Vegan & Gluten-Free Gnocchi with one of these incredibly delicious sauces:
- Vegan Walnut Pesto Sauce
- Vegan Nut-Free Kale Pesto (Healthy & Low-Calorie)
- So Delicious Vegan Mozzarella Sauce
- The Best Vegan Cheese Sauce Ever
- And to top it, add a spoonful of our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese or our Nutty Parmesan (find the recipe in our cookbook & e-cookbook).
These Gnocchi freeze perfectly, in fact, if you’re not going to consume them right away, we strongly recommend freezing the gnocchi right after boiling them!
One 220 g serving of these Vegan & Gluten-Free Gnocchi provides you with 321.8 kcal, 10% of the protein, 19% of the dietary fibre, 55% of the vitamin C, 10% of the iron, 8.5% of the vitamin K, 15.6% of the thiamin, and 4.2% of the riboflavin recommended daily. See detailed nutrition facts below!
If you liked these Vegan & Gluten-Free Gnocchi, check out The Best Ever Texas Style Vegan Chili, our Vegan Red Cabbage Soup w/ Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites, our Swedish Style Vegan Christmas Ham, our So Delicious & Healthy Lentil Loaf made Entirely of Whole Foods, our Homemade Celebration Seitan Roast, our Mushroom Vegan Soup (Quick & Easy), our One-Pot Tomato Vegan Soup with Basil Dressing, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Sage&Rum Marinated Seitan Tenderloin, our Vegan Seitan Steaks (Wheat Meat), our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Succulent Seitan Tenderloin, our Creamy Vegan Potato Gratin, and our The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips. You’ll love them all!
If you’re into more Italian inspired dishes like we are, you need to check out some recipes from our cookbook that you’re going to LOVE. Here is a list of them:
- Our amazing recipe of Ravioli al Formaggio. Cheese-filled ravioli used to be one of our favourite dishes while growing up. That’s why when we went vegan, we became obsessed with veganizing this dish. Believe us, you’re going to love our creation. Homemade made from scratch vegan ravioli, filled with the most delicious and creamiest vegan cultured cream cheese, made with cashews and probiotics. Served with a super creamy, delicious, and oil-free homemade sun-dried tomato sauce.
- Our insanely delicious Pesto Lumaconi. Cheesy Pesto Stuffed Lumaconi is the perfect recipe to make for a special celebration or romantic dinner. Fancy, creamy, super delicious, and full of flavour, and yet so easy to make! Served with our Champagne Lemon Sorbet for the best evening ever!
- The Best Vegan Pepperoni Pizza, where we show you how to make the best pizza from scratch and the most delicious vegan pepperoni you’re ever going to try, also from scratch! The key to achieve the best pizza dough is the overnight fermentation. You end up with a golden, beautiful crust with the perfect amount of crunch and subtle yeasty undertones. Totally worth it! And as far as oven temperatures go – we have great results at 482ºF/250ºC and using a pizza stone (it makes a huge difference!).
- So juicy Hot Italian Sausages. If you used to love Italian style sausages, then you will love these insanely meaty and juicy vegan sausages. They are so delicious and have that spicy touch. But if you don’t like them spicy, don’t worry, simply skip the red pepper flakes! We promise you these will be the very best vegan Italian sausages you will ever have!
- Thyme & Rosemary Vegan Chicken Cutlets. This is the best Vegan Chicken that you will ever try! Completely made from scratch, the texture and flavours are just perfect, and the recipe is so easy. Fresh rosemary and thyme mixed with garlic and a little of extra-virgin olive oil take this succulent seitan chicken cutlets recipe to a whole new level.
- Vegan Caesar Salad & Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella
- Vegan Mortadella
- Avocado Pesto & Walnut Pesto
- 4 different Vegan Cheese Sauces
- 9 different kinds of Vegan Cheeses, 4 of them Cultured with probiotics, 5-minute super melty vegan Mozzarella & Cheddar block-style cheeses, etc.
- The Best Tiramisu Cake you’re ever going to try. It’s just like the traditional Italian dessert, only in layer cake form and vegan. Rather than using ladyfingers, we are baking three layers of a light, fluffy sponge cake. The sponge is cooled and then soaked in a rich coffee syrup. The frosting is light and fluffy, yet rich at the same time. It’s made with homemade vegan mascarpone, folded together with vegan whipped cream, and a bit of cacao powder. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
- Insanely yummy Vegan Raffaello, which we call RAFFAELLA. If you used to love Raffaelo, you will absolutely adore our vegan version. With only 6 ingredients, so rich and creamy, perfectly sweet, naturally gluten-free and grain-free, they are so addictive!
- The most delicious Vegan Basil Infused Ice Cream with Strawberry Sauce (find this recipe also on the blog! Click here). Herbs love ice cream. And homemade ice cream flavoured with fresh herbs is a revelation. When sprigs of basil meet simmering (vegan) cream the result is fragrant, fresh, and irresistible. This is complimented perfectly by the vibrant strawberry sauce. We could say it’s a match made in heaven! Additionally, the ice cream is so so creamy, you won’t believe that it doesn’t contain any dairy. Absolutely no ice crystals!
- And many more!
Here you can see the photos of these delicious dishes from our cookbook:
ALL these recipes can be found in our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
The Best Homemade Vegan & Gluten-Free Gnocchi
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, the gluten-free flour blend we used already contained xanthan gum, check ingredients and if it doesn't contain any thickening agent, you'll need to add
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the unpeeled potatoes in a large pot. Fill the pot with enough cold water to cover the potatoes by at least 2 inches and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until they are completely tender and easily pierced with a fork, for around 30 to 40 minutes. Let the potatoes cool a little before removing the peel. To accelerate the process you can rinse the potatoes with very cold water.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl, and using a potato masher, mash them well.
- Stir in the sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, potato starch, and gluten-free all-purpose flour. Mix thoroughly using a sturdy spatula, until well combined. Stir in the extra-virgin olive oil and use your hands to mix it well with the rest of the mixture.
- Now, on a floured working surface, place the mixture and knead gently until the flour is fully incorporated and the dough is soft and smooth, for around a minute (don’t overmix it, or the gnocchi will be tough; the dough should feel delicate.) The dough should be moist but not sticky. It should feel almost billowy. Make sure the surface underneath the dough is well floured. Cover it with a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut the dough into 5 equal pieces.
- With the palms of your hands, roll each piece on the floured surface into a rope, roughly the thickness of your thumb.
- With a sharp knife, cut the ropes crosswise into 1.5 cm bites. Dust the bites with a bit of flour and now it's time to make the classic Italian homemade gnocchi shapes. To shape the gnocchi hold a fork in one hand, and place a bite against the tines of the fork (or gnocchi board), cut ends out. Lightly use your thumb and press in and down the length of the fork. The gnocchi should curl into a slight "C" shape, their backs will capture the impression of the tines as tiny ridges (good for catching sauce later). Arrange the gnocchi in a single layer on parchment paper-lined trays, making sure they don’t touch. Reflour the working surface as needed. When all the gnocchi have been made and spread out on the lined trays, sprinkle them with a little more of flour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once it's boiling add 2-3 tbsp of salt to it. Boil the gnocchi in batches by dropping them into the boiling salted water roughly 10-15 at a time, until they float to the surface, for about 3-4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to take them from the water.
- Now you have 2 options: consume now or freeze to consume another day. Do not refrigerate! You need to either consume immediately or freeze for the gnocchi to taste fresh and not chewy!
- If freezing: arrange gnocchi in air-tight containers, separating them with small sheets of parchment paper. Freeze for up to a month. When ready to consume, simply pop out of the freezer and directly pan-fry them with a bit of extra-virgin olive oil until they are golden on all sides.
- If consuming now: heat a non-stick large skillet with 1-2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil and sauté gnocchi until they look golden on all sides.
- Once the gnocchi are golden on all sides, stir in a few tablespoons of Vegan Walnut Pesto Sauce, Vegan Nut-Free Kale Pesto, Vegan Mozzarella Sauce, or Vegan Cheese Sauce inside the skillet and give it a good mix. Cook over low heat until the sauce is warm and nice.
- Serve the gnocchi immediately, topping with sun-dried tomatoes and our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Enjoy this insanely delicious dish!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Thank you for this recipe. The best vegan gluten-free gnocchi we have tried. They are so soft, they melt in your mouth. The pesto is also very flavourful!
BEST GNOCCHI EVER! Thank you for this super simple but incredibly delicious recipe!
Everything actually stayed together and was delicious. Thanks !!
This is my go-to recipe for gnocchi. I have made it for family and guests and everybody loves this stuff. Thank you for another great recipe.
this was so satisfying and comforting. and just what you need when life is a little hard to swallow. Thank you.
I thought these were great. Who knew that gnocchi was so easy to make? I am glad I gave it a try.