You’re going to love our insanely Quick & Easy Delicious GF Vegan Crab Cakes! Flaky, moist, and tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, super flavourful, satisfying, gluten-free, low in calories, these are perfect! You won’t miss non-vegan crab cakes at all! Serve them with our Vegan Salsa Rosa – The Pink Spanish Cocktail Sauce, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a tomato and avocado salad for the perfect dinner!
Artichokes and jackfruit create the perfect flaky, fish-like texture, and extra-firm silken tofu adds protein and helps create that perfect texture.
The fishy flavour is provided by the addition of wakame flakes blended into a powder.
They are perfect for a romantic dinner or to impress your family. However, they are just as good for a weekday, as they only take 60 minutes to be ready (30 minutes of those they’re in the oven!).
They can be enjoyed as an appetizer, side, or main dish.
One 132 g serving provides you with 139.9 kcal and 12% of the protein recommended daily! See more detailed nutrition facts below.
As you may know, we have a “Fysh&Chips” recipe in our cookbook, and what a recipe (see photo below)! We use a unique method for combining and flavouring two types of tofu, later fried up in a homemade beer batter, and served with chunky chips. This, we can assure you, makes it the best vegan fish&chips recipe ever.
You can serve this amazing dish with our Vegan Mayo or our Tartar Sauce (recipe available in our cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, available as both Hard Cover from Book Depository, Walmart, Amazon, Barnes&Noble, etc. and e-book formats from our Blog Shop and our Etsy Shop.)
Check out our article Watched Seaspiracy? Try our Vegan Fish Alternatives to see the rest of our vegan fish alternatives!
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, Amazon, and many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Quick & Easy Delicious GF Vegan Crab Cakes
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 400 g extra-firm silken tofu, cut into thick slabs
- 480 g good quality canned artichoke hearts in brine, this is the drained weight
- 240 g canned green jackfruit, this is the drained weight
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free if desired
- 3 tbsp wakame flakes, blended into a powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tsp tamari
- Canola oil, to fry the cakes
- Vegan Salsa Rosa – The Pink Spanish Cocktail Sauce
- Fresh parsley
- A few tomatoes, chopped
- 1 – 2 avocados, chopped
- Place the slabs of extra-firm silken tofu on a plate lined with paper towels and let drain for a few minutes. Blot them with some more paper to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Rinse and drain the good quality canned artichokes and place them in a food processor. Pulse 6 to 8 times until they are evenly broken up. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit. Remove the tough core from each chunk and reserve for another use. Break the chunks apart and remove the seeds. Take only the flaky part of the jackfruit. Coarsely chop the flaky part and add to the mixing bowl with the pulsed artichokes.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF.
- In a dry high-speed blender, add the wakame flakes, and blend until powder-like consistency.
- In the empty food processor, add the drained and blotted extra-firm silken tofu slabs, panko breadcrumbs, powder-like wakame, unsweetened soy yoghurt, freshly squeezed lemon juice, freshly ground mustard seeds, cold-pressed rapeseed oil, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, potato starch, and tamari, and process until a chunky texture has been achieved. Make sure not to over blend. The texture should be chunky!
- Scoop the contents of the food processor into the bowl with the artichokes and jackfruit, and using a sturdy silicone spatula, fold to combine until the mixture begins to hold together. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the bowl and divide into 8-10 equal portions, about 3-inches in diameter and 1-inch thick.
- Place the patties onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Make sure to leave some space between them.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before touching them.
- Now, put a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Generously coat the bottom with canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the patties and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon, fresh parsley, and our Vegan Salsa Rosa – The Pink Spanish Cocktail Sauce. Enjoy, you're going to love this combo!
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.