These Traditional Vegan Swedish Cinnamon Buns (kanelbullar) are so fluffy, soft, and absolutely delicious! The perfect balance of sugar and spices in every bite, you need to try these ASAP! The recipe is extremely easy and comes with step-by-step instructions to guide you.
As opposed to US American cinnamon rolls, Kanelbullar are not as gooey and never have icing on top. Instead, these buns are made with lots of cinnamon and cardamom, both in the dough and the filling, and sprinkled with pearl sugar or sliced almonds.
Kanelbullar can be eaten for breakfast, yet it is more associated with fika — a Swedish tradition that more or less translates to coffee break.
Swedes love kanelbullar so much that they have a special day called “Kanelbullens dag” or cinnamon bun day on October 4th.
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Swedish Cinnamon Buns (kanelbullar), check out the rest of our Desserts & Sweets. You’ll love them!
Interested in a recipe for GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS WITH VEGAN CREAM CHEESE ICING?
Have a look at this insanely delicious recipe from our cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way“
Our Vegan Cinnamon Rolls are so fluffy, soft, and absolutely delicious! Sweetened with healthy Medjool dates and applesauce. Glazed with an incredibly yummy homemade vegan vanilla cream cheese made with cashews. These are the best American-style vegan cinnamon rolls in the whole world!
You can find many more recipes for vegan sweets in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way“, in chapter 6 “DESSERTS & TREATS”. In this chapter, you can find 32 incredible recipes for sweets, desserts, and even healthy treats for dogs! Here is a list:
- FLUFFY DOUGHNUTS
- HEALTHY GRANOLA
- BAKED CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS
- GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- TIRAMISU CAKE
- GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS
- YUMMY CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- WINTER CUPCAKES
- X-MAS TREE CUPCAKES
- MANGO RASPBERRY PUDDING
- SEMLOR: THE SWEDISH DELICACY
- DATE SYRUP & TURMERIC PANCAKES
- OATMEAL PANCAKES
- HEALTHY CHICKPEA COOKIES
- COOKIE SANDWICHES
- OATMEAL COOKIES
- PEAR OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- RHUBARB & STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE
- LEMON CHEESECAKE
- PASSION & MANGO NICECREAM
- BASIL INFUSED ICE CREAM W/ STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- PIÑA COLADA OVERNIGHT PUDDING
- ICE CREAM BARS
- LAYERED PARFAITS
- EASY WHIP
- DREAMY WHIPPED CREAM
- EGG-FREE MERINGUE
- PUPPY WHOLE-FOOD TREATS
- PUPPY PUMPKIN TREATS
- PUPPY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
Click here to read more about our cookbook.
Our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store, and our Etsy Shop.
Vegan Swedish Cinnamon Buns (kanelbullar)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk, at 98.6ºF/37ºC
- 22 g fresh yeast
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted vegan butter block, softened
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup vegan salted butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, pitted
- 2 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp vegan salted butter, melted
- Swedish pearl sugar, or nib sugar
- Crumble the fresh yeast into a small bowl. Add sugar and warm milk (use a food thermometer!) and mash with a fork to dissolve the yeast completely. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, using the dough function, combine flours, applesauce, butter, salt, ground cardamom, and the yeast mixture. Process until a dough ball has formed. It should be smooth and soft. Transfer to a lightly oiled large bowl, covered with a cloth, and let rise in a warm and dark place for 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place the butter in a small bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Knead the dough lightly on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 12×16 inch rectangle. Spread the melted butter and vanilla extract and sprinkle the raw sugar, Ceylon cinnamon powder, and freshly ground cardamom over the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough up, starting from the 12-inch side, sealing the edges. Cut into 1-inch sections using a serrated knife. You should get 14 pieces.
- Place the buns on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Place it in the oven (turned off). Boil some water and pour in a measuring jug. Place in the oven with the baking tray, to add steam that will help the cinnamon buns rise. Keep the oven closed for 1 hour until very puffy looking. Take the tray and jug out of the oven and cover the tray with a cloth. Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC.
- Brush the buns with melted butter, then sprinkle with a pinch of nib sugar.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the buns reach your desired level of golden brown (be careful not to overcook them).
- Transfer the buns to a cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy, these are absolutely delicious!!
- Best eaten fresh, but leftovers will keep in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 1 day. We recommend freezing any leftovers the same day you made them and thaw whenever you want to eat them. Simply, pop in the oven directly from the freezer and bake for a few minutes until nice and warm. They will taste like freshly baked!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I have made these buns twice exactly as written. They are perfection!
These are GREAT, thank you! I moved to the US from Sweden back in 1995 and for some reason never had any luck baking vegan cinnamon rolls – until now.
These buns were absolutely phenomenal.
PS – You have the best recipes sweet or savory!