Our Oil-Free Umami Crispy Tofu Bites are super flavourful, full of umami flavour, quick & easy, very affordable, SO ADDICTIVE & very healthy because they are oil-free and packed with plant-based protein!
If you “don’t like tofu” you still need to try these, because THEY DON’T TASTE LIKE TOFU!!!!
Once you try this crispy tofu you’ll be wondering how you could have ever lived without it! For real, that is how we feel! You will be making this recipe every week in big batches.
Tofu is one of our favourite ingredients because it’s extremely versatile, it’s loaded with vegan protein, and it’s naturally gluten-free! Tofu makes for a versatile blank canvas that can handle any flavours you’re in the mood for. If you think that you hate tofu, it’s because you’ve been cooking it wrong. I guarantee that you’re going to love this recipe!
The key to good tofu lies in how it’s prepared. You can fry it, marinate it, add it to curries and soups, turn it into a dessert or turn it into a delicious scramble, just to name a few examples. Here are some examples of recipes of ours that will make you love tofu:
- Easy Yummy GF Vegan Tofu Bacon
- Vegan GF Chorizo Bits
- Exquisite GF Vegan Salmon Fillets
- Vegan GF Zucchini Lasagna Rolls with Chorizo & Ricotta
- The Best Vegan Tofu Ricotta in 5 Minutes!
- Vegan Asian Inspired Tofu Scramble
- Trash Can Vegan Nachos
- The Best Ever Vegan Chili con Carne
- The Best Vegan Bolognese with Tagliatelle
- Vegan Red Cabbage Soup w/ Chunky Bratwurst Style Tofu Bites
- The Best Ever Texas Style Vegan Chili
- The Best Gluten-Free & Vegan Fish & Chips
- Amazing Vegan Swedish Meatballs
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Dim Sum Dumplings
- Vegan Pasta Carbonara with Coconut Bacon
- Easy Low-Calorie Vegan Pasta Carbonara (Whole Food, Oil-Free)
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts
If you liked this Crispy Tofu recipe, you can find an entire chapter on Vegan Meats in our new cookbook & e-book “ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way”, chapter 3 “VEGAN BUTCHERY”. In this chapter, you can find recipes for 13 incredibly delicious types of vegan meats, some of them gluten-free too! Here’s a list:
- VEGAN BRATWURSTS
- VEGAN HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGES
- VEGAN WHEAT FILET MIGNON
- VEGAN BBQ RIBS
- THE BEST VEGAN BURGER
- BAKE-ON: A SUPER QUICK&EASY BACON MADE OF TOFU
- SWEDISH CHRISTMAS HAM
- CHICKUN: 2 DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE VEGAN CHICKEN: VEGAN THYME & ROSEMARY CUTLETS AND SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN TENDERS
- SEITAN BACON
- VEGAN MORTADELLA
- BAVARIAN MORTADELLA
- SEITAN PEPPERONI
- and more!!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
If you liked this recipe for Oil-Free Umami Crispy Tofu Bites, check out our Nut-Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese, our Vegan Buffalo Mozzarella, our Gluten-Free Vegan Mortadella, our Fluffy Homemade Vegan Bagels, our Vegan Mayonnaise (Plain & Spicy), our Easy to Make Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Oil-Free & Healthy Vegan Béarnaise Sauce, our Vegan Pink Sauce – Beetalicious, our Garlic Vegan Sauce, and our Vegan Pesto Sauce. And if you want to find some REALLY EPIC SAUCES AND DRESSINGS RECIPES, ALONG WITH OVER 150 OTHER RECIPES, check out our very first cookbook ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, which includes over 150 satisfying recipes to feed all the members of your household (including your dogs!). It’s available internationally as a hardcover on Book Depository (with free delivery worldwide), Walmart, and in many other bookstores! Yay! Click here and here to learn more. You can also purchase it as a downloadable e-book (pdf) in our Store (currently ON SALE!), and our Etsy Shop (also on sale there!).
The Best Oil-Free Umami Crispy Tofu Bites
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 2 lb super-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup tamari, or Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 2 tbsp red wine, sub with more water if WFPB
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, optional, if you like it extra spicy
- Preheat the oven to 420ºF/215ºC.
- In a large bowl, combine the tamari, water, red wine, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, paprika powder, old bay seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, freshly ground black pepper, and optional chili powder.
- Drain the tofu to remove the excess water. Blot-dry with paper towels if needed. Cut into small cubes.
- Place tofu cubes in the bowl with the marinade, and with a spatula, toss well until all cubes are evenly coated.
- Line 1-2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Place coated tofu cubes onto the trays in a single layer. Make sure they don’t overlap.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Take out of the oven and use a spatula to stir through, flipping the cubes. Bake again for 15-20 more minutes. Bake until the tofu cubes are golden and crunchy on all sides!
- Cut the red bell peppers in half lengthwise and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Bake at 420ºF/215ºC for 30 minutes (we bake them at the same time as we bake the tofu).
- In a large serving bowl, combine lettuce, sliced radishes, baked red bell peppers, and tofu cubes. Stir in the vegan dressing of your choice. Remember the recipes are in our e-book & cookbook). Enjoy this super delicious salad!!
- The nutrition facts include all the salad ingredients except the vegan salad dressing.
- Store the tofu bites in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to a week.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.