You need to make The Best & Easiest Vegan Spanish Omelette Ever! So easy, only 5 ingredients and optional red bell pepper for an ever better taste!
This Vegan Spanish Omelette tastes 100% just like the traditional one with eggs. SAME TEXTURE, SAME FLAVOUR 100%. You need to try it and see it for yourself!
We were experimenting for a very long time (I’m talking years!) to make THE PERFECT VEGAN VERSION of The Spanish Omelette. We came pretty close with a recipe I posted a few years ago using the ingredients we had available in Europe (Vegan Tortilla de Patatas). However, THIS new recipe is on another level! When we moved to the US last year, we discovered the product Just Egg and, believe me, this product is a game changer! The combination of this product, a bit of flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, creates the fluffiest, most realistic vegan omelette we have ever tried in our lives! Then simply add a sprinkle of kala namak (black salt) after cooking and you’ve got yourself the perfect vegan omelette. 100% taste and texture, 0% cruelty or cholesterol! It’s a win-win!
You need to try this recipe ASAP! AMAZING, PERFECTION!
Just Egg is available in so many countries and it’s supposed to be available in Europe this year 2023 so soon everybody can enjoy this recipe!
What are the ingredients in Just Egg?
- Just Egg’s main ingredients are water, mung bean protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil and cornstarch.
If you’re interested in more recipes containing potatoes, we have a lot more on the blog. Here are a few of them:
- GF & Vegan Kroppkakor (Swedish Potato Dumplings)
- Vegan Jansson’s Temptation (Vegan Fish & Potato Gratin)
- The Best Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Crispy Vegan Cheesy Potato Stacks
- Vegan Tortilla de Patatas – Vegan Spanish Potato Omelette (Egg-Free)
- Oil-Free Healthy Sweet Potato & Mushroom Vegan Risotto
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Potato Lasagna – Pasta-Free
- Perfect Roast Potatoes with a Crunch
- Creamy Vegan Potato Gratin
- The Best Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Walnut Pesto – Vegan & Easy
- The Best Gluten-Free and Vegan Fish & Chips
- Vegan & Gluten-Free Lasagna Meets Shepherd’s Pie
- Low-Calorie Vegan Lasagna Meets Shepherd’s Pie V2
- Vegan Mexican Tacos for Breakfast
In our cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, we also have a recipe for The Perfect Sweet Potato Chips!
We also have an entire chapter named “Dairy is Scary” dedicated to vegan dairy substitutes, from homemade coffee creamers to 3 kinds of homemade yoghurts, homemade tofu, 4 types of cultured vegan cheese, and 5 easy and quick varieties of vegan cheese including feta, cheddar, Buffalo Mozzarella, etc. If you’re a cheese lover, you will love our cookbook! Read more about it here.
We have also recently published An All Plants X-Mas E-Book, with 145 vegan and mostly gluten-free recipes. The recipes include some of our newest creations such as our Vegan & Gluten-Free Stuffed Turkey and our Vegan & Gluten-Free Swedish Christmas Ham. This Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe is also included in this e-book and many different vegan gravies to accompany it. Read more about it here.
Visit our Etsy Store too!
–As a Spaniard I’m perfectly aware that an authentic Spanish omelette uses eggs, the potatoes are supposed to be deep-fried before adding them to the omelette batter and you’re not supposed to add red bell peppers. However, this is a vegan recipe so it obviously does not use any eggs. In addition, we CHOOSE not to deep-fry the potatoes in our house as we like how they taste better when baked. We also CHOOSE to add red bell pepper because we enjoy the combination of flavours. I’m not sure why these facts could cause hate from some people (yes, I’m talking about the not-so-nice Instagram comments some people like to write in our comment section). If you don’t like it just move along and quit being so negative 🙂 Have a great day!–
The Best & Easiest Vegan Spanish Omelette
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and diced (1.3 kg)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell-pepper, chopped (we like adding this but WE ARE AWARE it's not part of the traditional recipe)
- 1 3/4 bottles Just Egg, 12 fl oz per bottle (355ml)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, substitute with GF all-purpose flour if gluten-free
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to pan-fry the omelette
- Kala namak salt, to sprinkle AFTER it's cooked
- Preheat the oven to 420F/215C.
- Place the peeled and diced potatoes on a parchment paper-lined baking tray and bake them for 35-45 minutes or until golden and ready.
- In a non-stick skillet, sauté the onion and pepper until very fragrant and golden.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Just Egg, flour, cornstarch, and baking powder until very smooth.
- Extract 1/4 cup of the mixture into another bowl and set aside.
- Add the baked potatoes, sautéed onion and pepper into the large bowl with the Just Egg mixture.
- Set a non-stick large skillet over low heat. Once hot, cover the bottom of the skillet with extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour the omelette batter into the skillet. Give it the shape of an omelette and proceed to pour the 1/4 cup of the Just Egg mixture that you previously set aside on top. Cover the skillet with a lid and let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes Depending on your stove it may take more or less time, so please keep a very close eye on the omelette at all times so it doesn’t burn.
- With the help of a large plate, carefully flip the omelette and let it cook on the other side covered for 10 more minutes, or until ready.
- Serve on a plate, and sprinkle the kala namak on top (this salt tastes like “egg” but loses potency with heat so make sure to always add after you finish cooking or after reheating, never before!).
- Store in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 5 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.