If you’re looking for a paella recipe, look no further, because here is The Ultimate Vegan Seafood Paella which happens to also be Gluten-Free and it’s made The Authentic Way by us, people from Spain!
We are not from Valencia, so this is not a Valencian Paella. My family is from Sevilla (Andalucia), in the south of Spain and this is my mum’s original recipe veganized by the 3 of us (my mum, my hubby & I). We created this recipe last summer when my mum was here in Houston visiting us for the first time but totally forgot to share it here until now! This paella is to die for delicious, so full of flavour and just amazing! Everybody will love it and won’t be able to stop eating!
This is a giant paella that makes 12 to 16 servings (depending on how much you eat!). Perfect for hosting summer parties outdoors or if you’re fewer people, you can just store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week and they’ll be almost as delicious as freshly made :). We always make the paella this big, even if it’s just for the 2 of us, and then we refrigerate the leftovers and have delicious food ready for a whole week!
An essential ingredient you will need for this Vegan Seafood Paella is good-quality vegan shrimp! Our favourites if you live in the US are “LOVING HUT FRESH OCEAN Large Size” which are gluten-free and delicious! They come in a large package which we keep frozen and they last for a year! We thaw them for a few hours before cooking them and they taste amazing! Perfect texture and flavour! Here’s a photo of them:
It’s also essential that you get yourself the right Paella Kit. This is the one we have and it’s really amazing! If you like paella and want to have it the authentic way, you need a paella kit. It’s just not the same without it! Trust us and get yourself one of these!
In our cookbook & e-book ALL PLANTS: The Food You Love, The Vegan Way, we also have a recipe for The Paella, found on page 59.
Read more about our cookbook here.
We have also recently published An All Plants X-Mas E-Book, with 145 vegan and mostly gluten-free recipes. The recipes include some of our newest creations such as our Vegan & Gluten-Free Stuffed Turkey and our Vegan & Gluten-Free Swedish Christmas Ham. This Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe is also included in this e-book and many different vegan gravies to accompany it. Read more about it here.
Visit our Etsy Store too!
The Ultimate Vegan Seafood Paella (GF & The Authentic Way)
Enjoy friends! If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and tag @veganvvocals and #veganvvocals on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 red bell peppers, roughly diced
- 1 1/2 green bell peppers, roughly diced
- 20 -30 vegan shrimp, we use LOVING HUT FRESH OCEAN which are GF & delicious!
- 4 large tomatoes, deseeded and optionally peeled, chopped
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan white wine
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 13 cups Vegan No Fish Broth
- 0.035 oz saffron threads, /1 gram
- 6 cups paella rice
- 2 cups vegan white wine
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- Please watch the video to see exactly how we make this paella!!!!
- Bring the Vegan No Fish Broth to a boil and keep on a low simmer the entire time until you add it to the paella.
- Heat a large paella pan (the exact one we have is linked above) over medium heat. Carefully pour the 3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir in the vegan shrimp and 1/2 cup of vegan white wine, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fry the shrimp until they are golden on both sides. Take them out and set them aside.
- The empty paella will still have some oil left. Add the green and red bell peppers inside and let them cook for a minute.
- Stir in the onion and sauté for a few minutes before adding the garlic, while stirring.
- Add the garlic while you continue stirring.
- Stir in the smoked paprika and sweet paprika being very careful so the spices do not burn!!
- Stir in the tomatoes and let cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the tomato paste and continue stirring.
- Take 1 cup of the simmering broth and combine it in a glass with the saffron threads.
- Add the paella rice to the pan and stir to mix well with the veggies.
- Stir in the saffron and broth mixture and the remaining broth (12 cups). Pour the 2 cups of vegan white wine too. Stir well to combine.
- Lower the heat to low heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen green peas and add the already-fried vegan shrimp back into the pan. Let simmer at low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Now we are going to create THE SOCARRAT (caramelized burnt rice underneath): Cover the paella well with aluminium foil and increase the heat to medium-high for 60 to 90 seconds. It's very important that you set a timer so the paella does not burn by mistake!!!!
- Turn off the heat and uncover the paella.
- Top the paella with lemon wedges and chopped canned roasted red peppers. Serve immediately and enjoy this super delicious dish!!!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator, in sealed containers, for up to 5 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.